So really, I let go of any preconceived ideas and I make the garment out of sequence.
What I mean is for this jacket, I made up the lining and checked the shoulder fit before I cut out the fashion fabric. The shoulders came out too long so I cut them back on the fashion fabric and I’ve since adjusted the pattern. The neckline also climbed up my short little neck, so I dropped this by 1cm.
As you know, I’ve been trying to pick up any skills to work with leather. I had no intention of piping this jacket in snake embossed lamb leather but the scraps that I had bought from the Remnant Warehouse have been sitting in my sewing bag for 3 months saying “so what are we here for?” The cost of these leather scraps came to a whole $10.
This medium wool fabric was gifted to me by a sewing buddy so this jacket fabric hasn’t cost me much at all and I was happy to cut into it and test out this jacket. I still have plenty for a coat, skirt or pants. This fabric is well behaved.
The wonderful 3kids was the only PR reviewer of this jacket so iher review made it really clear this jacket would finish above/at my waist. Her blog had lots more detail and photos of her finished jacket. Her jacket is wonderful both on the inside and out.
|This is my ‘I think I need a coffee’ look.
The ripple on my right shoulder is because the lining is a bit short – like me.
In the meantime, I’ve cut out navy work pants that will be lined – Burda 7746. This will be my first lined pants. The first version in a purple linen have worked out well.
If I get 2 pairs made up by the end of this month, I should be toasty warm this winter.