Leather trim – McCalls 6292

This really is a test jacket. Truely. When I test a pattern:
– there’s no real plan
– I make my basic pattern adjustments (roll shoulder, sleeve and bodice length)
– any notions come from my stash

    Throughout the process I constantly think “What if…”

So really, I let go of any preconceived ideas and I make the garment out of sequence.
What I mean is for this jacket, I made up the lining and checked the shoulder fit before I cut out the fashion fabric. The shoulders came out too long so I cut them back on the fashion fabric and I’ve since adjusted the pattern. The neckline also climbed up my short little neck, so I dropped this by 1cm.

As you know, I’ve been trying to pick up any skills to work with leather. I had no intention of piping this jacket in snake embossed lamb leather but the scraps that I had bought from the Remnant Warehouse have been sitting in my sewing bag for 3 months saying “so what are we here for?” The cost of these leather scraps came to a whole $10.

This medium wool fabric was gifted to me by a sewing buddy so this jacket fabric hasn’t cost me much at all and I was happy to cut into it and test out this jacket. I still have plenty for a coat, skirt or pants. This fabric is well behaved.

The wonderful 3kids was the only PR reviewer of this jacket so iher review made it really clear this jacket would finish above/at my waist. Her blog had lots more detail and photos of her finished jacket. Her jacket is wonderful both on the inside and out.

This is my ‘I think I need a coffee’ look.
The ripple on my right shoulder is because the lining is a bit short – like me.
So now I’m just about ready to make up my pleather red version, once the zipper arrives from Zipperstop. I’ve used a rich red sunsilky lining to contrast the green wool on this toile.

In the meantime, I’ve cut out navy work pants that will be lined – Burda 7746. This will be my first lined pants. The first version in a purple linen have worked out well.

 If I get 2 pairs made up by the end of this month, I should be toasty warm this winter.

An evolving jacket

This is a jacket McCalls 5714 I made last year but I felt it did need to be toned down a bit so I could wear it more often this winter.

I cut off the sleeve flounces; added straighter sleeves; added a button and piped the new pockets. The idea had merit, the outcome didn’t.

So I changed the pockets one more time. This is a plain square that I’ve eased in at the base so the pockets have similar gathers to the yoke.

The pockets are there but I think they’ve blended in better. Below is how I wore it yesterday when we went out for quick bit to eat in the cold wet weather. I love my waterproof boots bought in Portland last year. BTW the bike print on the crash test dummy is a sample I’m thinking of purchasing from Addicted to Fabric for something.



MMM12 Day 24

Cardi: Knitwit printed fabric with grey piping and snaps in M5978
Top: Grey knot top
Skirt: Grey woollen suiting straight skirt using McCalls 9356. This was the last piece of fabric from my aunt. The matching jacket is double breasted and needs adjusting.
MMM’12 May 25
Jacket: Linen brown jacket. The real matching jacket is long enough to be a coat and definitely needs adjusting.
Top: Here’s on of the new top Kwik sew 3740.
Skirt: This is a straight skirt made from a Home Yardage fabric woollen that’s still as stiff as the day I bought it. I’ve used McCalls 9356 as the sloper.
Location: Parramatta River. I wouldn’t fish here like the people in the background.
Every morning I find something that needs adjusting so in between the planned projects, these jackets will be unpicked (ugh) and adjusted. I’ve managed to keep up with the skirts that need adjusting. I’m getting quicker at ripping out the back zip and putting it back in again.