Testing New Look 6122

Summer holidays are just about here and this is a dress I’ve dared myself to wear. This is my Make a Garment a Month piece.

There are plenty of opportunities to wear this style – get-togethers with family and friends, drinks,  summer BBQs or just a simple night out.

My favourite look is View B in the short version as it gives me enough options to colour block if I’m trying to mix up fabrics for a fresh look.
On Pattern Review I found a few reviews but only one for View B. This test version is made using a remnant fabric from Pitt Trading.

The location is Newington Amory at Sydney Olympic Park on an early summer afternoon. Funny how the old naval loading structure behind me looks like it’s coming out of my head. The perils of taking photos. Ya gotta laugh.

The straps were cut out as per the pattern but they were really long for me, so I decided to make this a halter style and not waste the neck band fabric. The bodice pattern has elastic at the top of the back piece and also along the whole waistband. I’ve not used the tie back at the waist.
I added swimwear elastic on the inside of the front bands so that the front bands cover me snugly. I kept the gathers on the skirt at the centre back and at the centre front. It’s a summer weekend style so I’ve these gathers too.
What will make this dress more comfortable to wear is an internal bust lining piece. I’ll add this to the next version that you’ll read about later this week. This fabric is very stretchy so it does need more body.
As it’s getting busy for everyone, I wish you and your families a lovely Christmas break. If you’re travelling during this period, please stay safe.

Vintage halter #2

The changes from the first halter dress were made to this version. Basically all the adjustments made to cater for my size were removed. Maybe a refresher Maths class might help me…

This fabric was meant for weekend pants but I thought the plaid lines would be better used (less blocky) for this dress. In reality, I only tried to match the lines on the bust but the lines matched most of the way around the dress.

The pattern doesn’t have bias trim under the bust, that’s just my adjustment to play with the fabric lines. Nuts huh?

Nuts and bolts:
I used the normal sewing foot, a walking foot, a hemming foot and a basic zipper foot as well as the coverpro machine for the hem.
One of the last construction steps is to sew in a zipper and I swear this is a very smart move because you can really get the bodice fit right (no tears).
And I’m also getting better at using the ‘fast turner’ tool for straps.

Next is a 60’s tunic dress.

The pattern pieces were all in the pack, precut and used but they’re all there.
I’ve got a medium weight fabric that will work and I’ll source a zipper – if not from my stash – at the Remnant Fabric warehouse on Saturday.
At this stage, self cover buttons are my preference.
I’ve not made pockets but I’ll give them a crack for this dress.

Vintage!

Vintage is something that lots of you are great at and I’ve done nil vintage and I have no vintage knowledge.You may have noticed in PR I’m managing the Vintage Contest this month. I did a bit of research and there’s lots of vintage info around and so many wonderful vintage sewers who really know their stuff. Locally I’ve noticed an increasing vintage trend so I’m looking forward to seeing how sewers develop their vintage outfits to suit their needs.

I’m not a vintage sewer but I found this Style 4859 from 1974 so today I decided to adjust this dress to fit. My entry won’t qualify because I’m managing the contest. Vintage patterns up to and including 1978 are in.

These are really crude adjustments. After tracing the pieces off the original pattern, I’ve split the bust piece and made it 2 cm longer and added 1.5cm to the width. I’ve also made the waist 4 cm wider.
Next – the muslin.