Spot on – Butterick 3386

After using this fabric and realising how little give it has, I used it on a tab front top that’s designed for woven fabric.

When my sewing buddies saw how this fabric was on my previous top, the comment was to use a plain fabric instead of using a print. Black and white can be disorientating at the best of times so I chose to use a black collar as a neutralising contrast.

As you can see in this close up, I’ve used white cotton as a balancing detail.

In previous versions top, I’ve used shirring in the back but this might throw people off because of the black/white contrast.

I was thinking of inverted pinch pleats in the back (in the black segments) so it sits better instead of bulking up. This is a task I’ll do when the weather is less muggy and hot.

I’ve done the following adjustments:

  • roll shoulder adjustment 2cm
  • sway back, although it doesn’t show up too well
  • shortened the hem
  • the tab is squared and lowered by 3cm
  • the hems are finished with a straight stitch.

Tomatoes – Kwik Sew 3617

I was trying to plan my sewing projects for our sewing weekend, so to start, I pulled out a stack of fabric, then placed them together in a few different variations. I looked at the greens from the Melbourne fabric shopping trip and took out the latest prints that I’ve bought this year. I am determined to use these prints before they become dated.

Then I checked out what outfits were available online and took inspiration of plain border fabrics with prints as the main fabric. I’ve got plenty of basic patterns that I know fit me. Most of my patterns can be tweaked to update my look (LOL). I need bit of courage to tweak but then I take comfort in the fact that most of my fabrics are cheap and won’t break the bank if the outfit doesn’t work.
This print was bought from The Fabric Store when they had a sale in August. The trim is from our shopping trip to Melbourne. I deliberately bought green fabrics a) to add green into my wardrobe and b) to act as a reminder of where I bought my green fabrics from. I know, it’s a bit complex but that’s how I remember things…

To accommodate for my backside fullness, I did a quick measure of this area, shook my head in dismay and then accommodated for it in the skirt section. This is another top that’s been extended into a dress. I stick with 3/4 length sleeves, so I can were this in between seasons.

Collar – two piece


Collars can be time consuming at the best of times and I love garments with great collars. Why?
They frame your face, can draw the eye to your face whether sewn correctly and can make a garment fit in with other jackets/vests that you have in your wardrobe.

So the main advice I can give is:

– use directional stitching to keep each piece balanced
– interface both sides of a collar to keep it looking crisp
– invest in good ironing tools and steam iron

The collar above was part of the Butterick 5328 wrap shirt that I finished last week. Do I take notice of notches? Not unless it’s a coat or jacket. This shirt was made with cotton quilting fabric and it leant itself to using armoweft.

kwik sew 3617 – dress version

When I recently made up this pattern in the v-neck top, there were a few comments of how some sewers had overlooked this pattern.

I had also overlooked this pattern until I attended a knitwit showing last year and I fell for the version of this top that was part of the showing.
Spot the belt…
I’ve now trialled the round-neck version to create a dress using fabric from The Fabric Store.
The neckline instructions suggest interfacing the inside neckline but I wanted a clean neckline finish, so I interfaced the outer neckline piece. The neckline sit very nicely and I used lettuce edge on the sleeve and hemlines with a basic red overlocker thread. That’s the nice thing when you’re using an all over print. You don’t have too be too prescriptive with your thread or finish choice.
I’ve trimmed the waistline so that it sits better on me. I realised this adjustment would be necessary after I made the neck version recently.
I also added extra room around my hips, but then trimmed it off once I sewed the side seams together.
Excuse the mess in my sewing room. I’ll clean the mess at some point. 27/4 – My room pic has now been replaced with these new photos.