How could you resist a cake like this?
3/4c plain flour
1t baking powder
75g butter, melted
3T melted butter
70g slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease a 25cm spring form tin.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Carefully fold into egg mixture, with melted butter and milk.
- Put into prepared tin.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- While waiting for the cake to cook, make the topping
Heat butter, almonds and suga in a saucepan.
Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.
Add milk and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Quickly spoon the topping over the cake and return to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until topping is golden and caramelised.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
This recipe is adapted from Timeless Edmonds – Celebrating 125 years of baking, 2004, Hodder Mao Beckett Publishers Ltd.