If you want to avoid cream, fill these with jam instead. The cinnamon ‘oyster’ is not very sweet.
2t golden syrup
6T plain flour
1t baking powder
1t baking soda
1/2t ground ginger
whipped cream to serve
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Grease 12 shallow patty tins.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick.
- Add golden syrup and beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger.
- Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.
- Spoon small amounts of mixture evenly into prepared tins.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the surface springs back when lightly touched.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Just before serving, cut oysters open horizontally (shuck them) with a sharp knife and fill with whipped cream.
This recipe is adapted from Timeless Edmonds – Celebrating 125 years of baking, 2004, Hodder Mao Beckett Publishers Ltd.