Eugenia and her staff at Elliott Berman Textiles were really accommodating when I visited their store. I visited their store twice that week as I had to think about their fabrics and choose pieces I can’t buy locally. This is one of a few of their fabrics in my stash.
The key notion I needed was the zipper and thankfully Pitt Trading had a range of metal zippers for coats available last year. Pitt Trading has an amazing range of notions off loaded from local designers.
I did a bit of research while I made this jacket this week and realised very few puffer jackets have a defined waist hence I had to choose a jacket pattern that I could slightly shape.
I used Butterick 6062 as the basic jacket shape. The darts weren’t sewn. I have a habit of using this pattern for longline coats to keep me warm.
The pocket is the same as the pocket in Butterick 6062 but it’s 2.5cm wider along the seams.
The collar is 12cm wide shaped from folded piece of the quilted fabric. No collar pattern was used.
A few months ago I ducked into EM Greenfields and bought a reel of navy bias binding 25mm wide for the jacket edging. I’ve got plenty left although I did used plenty on this jacket.
While I love the metal zipper, I felt it needed a zipper shield so I made one ‘on the go’.
The fabric wasn’t going through my sewing machine properly so I lowered the zipper foot to ‘level 3’ and it then sewed through the machine perfectly.
The initial WIP jacket showed me the pockets were too high for a coat. Uhm, the front was too short as well.
You can see on the finished jacket a new ‘design feature ‘at the base of the coat.
I had a similar gold bias trim in my stash so I used this for the coat hook and also to finish the front panel seams.
And that’s it really. Bias bound seams and bias bound edges and this puffer jacket is done!