In knots – Butterick 5283

This pattern is doing my head in.

I made this top last week with spotted fabric and sleeveless. This time I’ve used a comfortable knit that has one way stretch and good memory. I’ve also only cut out one front piece, so this is not self faced. That saved me a bit of fabric but also made the top hang nicely without making me feel chunky.

I traced off the original outline under the chest and then dropped it by 3inches. The pencil on the pattern shows you how far I’ve moved the piece down.

The front now is looks very gathered because of the knot so I can live with it. As the sleeveless version hangs over the shoulders, I had to take 4cm off the shoulder seams to bring the sleeves back to my shoulders instead of down my arms. Did you notice that the twist is on the same side as the pattern drawing?

I took out the centre back fold so the back fits better. There’s still some work to do here as my right hips is higher than my left hip. This pattern could be another top that gets lengthened into a dress soon.

PS. The skirt is one that I made 4 years ago and I work it to work last week. It still fits, but it didn’t look like me so I’ve added a trim to make it fit into my current wardrobe look.

Winter warmth – Kwik Sew 3617

Here’s the fabric that I bought at The Fabric Store in March. I liked the colour, fabric print, fabric feel and level of spandex in the fabric. Spandex ensures that the fabric doesn’t bag to quickly. The downside, is it can make the fabric feel harsh or cold.

I enjoyed making this pattern up earlier this year as a dress and this fabric gave me the opportunity to build a brown knit top to go with the layers I wear in the winter.

As you can see, the fit is very relaxed and it’s comfortable to wear.

After attending an Industry day, I’m still not interested in quilting or patchwork. What I did do with this pattern and fabric was to use another brown knit fabric to embellish the neckline.
With the amount of sewing gadets I have, it seemed wasteful not to use the cutting board, blade and ruler to prepare the bias piping. I used some webbing to iron the piping in half so it was easy to use on the neckline.