I don’t have unfinished objects (UFOs) but I do have ‘fabrics in waiting’. There are ‘notions in waiting’ which accounts for why some of my clothes don’t have the same lining colour or exact matching zipper.
I’ve used Simplicity 1425 again as a dress. At some point I’ll used Simplicity 1425 as a top. I love using this top as a dress at the moment. It’s a lovely Summer style.
|There wasn’t a ‘balanced piece’ of lace left so the back of this dress is bare – needs ironing.|
There was plenty of silver fabric to make a dress but only a variety of odd shaped lace pieces for this dress. I used all of this lace that I had for the earlier Karen Millen style dress.
The back has no lace because I didn’t have enough lace to balance the overlay without it looking ‘unfinished’.
|I welcomed in the New Year with this lace dress.|
I find working with lace is like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle and I love jigsaw puzzles.
This lace has additional embroidery to the flowers so it was easy to know which was the right side.
|Here’s how I layed out the back skirt pieces with the pockets before cutting into the lace.|
Blue lining was my favourite and lots of you loved the blue lining too. The blue adds more depth to the green so blue fabric won.
|See what I mean about the blue fabric?|
A fitted bodice was a must with an interesting neckline accentuate the lace so I chose Simplicity 1425 View C.
The neckline wasn’t a deep as I thought it worked.
I chose to balance the lace on the back bodice instead of trying to match the lace at the zipper seam.
I ran out of time to add a sassy, pencil skirt so I added my basic A-line skirt with side seam pockets.
I wore this dress to the NYE party we went to.
Without making a test dress (not like me) I sewed up this dress with the side seams sewn up last. This made it easy for me to size it down to fit me.
I made the 12 size based on the pattern information but realised I should have made the 8 with a 10 waist.
I also had to shorten the front bodice pieces, which meant a bit of unpicking and resewing but I was on holidays so I had the time to do this.
I did a full bust adjustment on the bodice and it sits nicely on me.
|Here’s my second try at making Simplicity 1425, using Pitt Trading fabric from the stash.|
This pin-striped top above is my second attempt and tweaking the pattern. This also gave me a better idea about sizing. Did I mention I took out 10cm out of the side seams on the dress.
|Mr V took these photos way after midnight.|
It’s all good!
I’ll be using Simplicity 1425 again for a dress/top this Summer.
Pitt Trading has their Summer sale on and if you can’t get to the store, they have some of their fabrics listed on their website now. From the website sale fabrics, I bought spot dot and cascade.
All the best to everyon for 2016.