You can guess why I like plaid fabrics and as it’s cold I’ve made this little red number.
Here’s how I styled this new plaid skirt for work. The plaid is a dark red and it has taupe and green in it. I used my basic skirt pattern McCalls 9356 for the shaping.
This is a post construction pic to show the centre waistband lines matching across the centre back zipper and across the side seams.
This shows the other side seam match across the width and along the inverted pleat.
My guess is this fabric is poly and I bought 3 metres of it on ebay two years ago. The weave is fairly loose so I’ve reinforced the pleats at the top. I’ve matched the green stripe on the inside of these pleats.
Because the front inverted pleats let me walk, I didn’t bother with a pleat at the back. I’ve fully lined this skirt so it doesn’t pill on the inside.
Now I’m tossing up to use the rest of this fabric on a Vivienne Westwood plaid jacket. It’s just an idea for now but it will certainly need a lot of thought and the jacket would need a bit of shaping at the waist.
Slub fabrics are a favourite of mine. When I saw this red slub fabric being used by one of the ladies at Ballarat ASG last year it screamed “I’m yours“. So I bought a couple of metres from Spotlight.
The skirt is McCalls 8972 view F. This view has the fake pockets and some detailing that is lost with this fabric. What I now know is that this pattern fits and isn’t that hard to sew together.
The seams are overlocked and I was having the seam edges on the outside of the skirt.
The buttons were again in my stash (clear with watermelon flecks). The white stitches above the pocket is lost in the fabric so I’ll do this on a solid coloured fabric next time.
The green top is an Esprit number that I’ve altered, so I don’t have to wear a cami underneath. The cardi is also RTW. One of my work colleagues said I remind them of Christmas. How sweet.
This skirt also has a belt option that I’ll have a go at.
It wasn’t too hard to find red fabric to match my new silk blouse. In fact there was a red skirt that I’d made last year and needed a bit of adjusting at the waist Vogue 8426 view A.
What you’ll notice is that this skirt has a back pleat so that meant the main adjustment was on the side seams at the waist. I couldn’t bear to play with the sides too much because of the detailing. I also raised the hem because it was too low. The hem is still not quiet there but I can manage with this length for now.
The ribbon at the back allows me to slip this top on – zippers or buttons. It also allows me to adjust this to fit my frame.
This second skirt, McCall 8972 view H, was made last month to match the top. The key feature is a fitted waist yolk and pockets on the front. Both skirts are lined.