Stripes and NL 6149

It all started with this stripe top using New Look 6149 v-neckline and a good rugby knit I bought from Tessutis last year. A walking foot, many long pins and a lot of resewing seams helped me match the lines on these tops.


The neckline is made with overlapped binding and it sits very flat.

There was a fair bit of pieces and lines to be matched. Even the two-piece sleeve needs to be matched.

Then I moved to this fabric from Tessutis and made this version again. I think I’m a bit obsessed with stripes and matching patterns at the moment.

The lines on this fabric vary quiet a bit so the fun was cutting the pieces out and sewing this up. 

Again I used lots of long pins, my walking foot to keep the lines in place and a lot of unpicking.

 And this version goes well with what I already have in my wardrobe.

This time the hem has a slight curve to it this time around and I’ve cut the back on the fold this time because I was a bit tired of matching lines by this stage. 
These tops are my ‘go-to’ weekend tops. The fabric has just enough lycra to help the fabric keep its shape. These tops were worn a lot when we traveled in June.
Now might be the time to stop sewing with stripe knit fabric. Or maybe not:)

PS: There are some heftier sewing projects happening at the moment and you’ll read about soon. Promise!

Remnants – my case ‘Your Honour’

Why are remnant fabrics my weakness? Maybe it’s because they’re a challenge. Finding a pattern to suit the amount of fabric I’ve found is a challenge.

Vogue 8815 test using Cue remnants from Pitt Trading

Do remnant fabrics ignite my passion for puzzle solving? Should I see a shrink about trawling for fabric especially when the sign on the basket says ‘designer remnants’?

Original Charlie Brown remnant fabric from Pitt Trading

The case in my defence remains, remnants are a low risk purchase to test a future pattern. Making a pattern fit usually means testing it out. Using calico to test a pattern for knit fabric or stretch wovens doesn’t work.

This Charlie Brown abstract knit looked too big for a shortie like me, but I tried to used the main print where it made sense. I bought this fabric at Pitt Trading a few years ago.

See where the longest part of the print is? I’ve used New Look 6149 for this top.

And I’ve kept the front ‘clean’ at the waist. I love my Minerva black jeans.

Below is the second knit remnant I bought ages ago at Pitt Trading. Both prints were from Charlie Brown. The main buying guide I used was to choose strong colours for possible wearable toiles and at the time of purchase, I hadn’t made the purple skinny jeans below.

Test #1: This top above was my attempt at recreating a RTW top. The shaping didn’t come out as planned. The neckline gaped so I added knit lace so the neckline and armholes sat properly. This print gave me a practice at matching the print at the side seam and balancing it on me.
Test 2: New Look 6940 was tested using this fabric. Again, testing it with this fabric confirmed the fit and I got to play with print placement.

And the Bomber jacket above was made using an Ikea remnant. This jacket is a keeper.

Test 3: I used this remnant again to test the bodice for the PR Winter dress. I wasn’t sure about the neckline or shoulder fit. I was also curious about the waistline.  

So once I put this top together, I had just enough fabric left to put a band at the base of the top.

I rest my case ‘Your Honour’. 

Have a lovely Easter break everyone.