Peppy eyelet

I just couldn’t get on with my current projects until I gave this pattern another go. Peplums are everywhere and I have a summer holiday coming up in June so I made this top again in a white/purple eyelet from My Hung Fabrics to wear during the day with shorts or skinny jeans.

The adjustments this time were
– reduce the bust darts and centre back darts by 1.5cm
– add 1.5cm at centre seams on peplum, so the flounce is untounched
– drop the neckline and fix gaposis
– redraw the base of the cap sleeve.

And the neckline is now a v-neck.
Here’s the redrawn sleeve pattern. I took more off the sleeve length at the base on the sleeve, using a french curve. The peplum is still 2″ shorter than the pattern.

There’s a row of purple piping on the edge of the cap sleeve. The sleeves are lined. Bias binding is used to finish the neck edge, hem, zipper seams and sleeve edges. I’ll be wearing this as you would a basic white top.

I have visions of using this pattern for a casual jacket but for now, I have to get back to my planned project commitments in between cleaning the house. I know – both situations are sad:)

School teachers always tell you to sit up straight.

 

Enjoying a few rays before more cleaning.

PS: I’m ignoring the fact that ‘winter is coming‘. Can you tell I’ve been watching Game of Thrones recently? Love it.

The Great British Sewing Bee episode 4.
Congratulations to the finalists. You lucky sewers in the UK can put your hand up to be part of series 2.

Spring shirtdress – McCalls 5433

This print fabric has strong colours and reminded me of the orchids in Singapore. I bought the fabric locally and it was the first shirt dress I made this month, before the vintage military dress.

Shirtdress:
This blue work version made earlier is worn to work (a lot) so I had to make it again. The original plan was to simply make just the shirt.

Well, I ended up making this floral dress instead. What can I say. My planning skills are fluid.

This little floral number was lined with stash fabric and because the lining peeks through at the collar, I added a super quick facing from leftover floral fabric.


 














The close up shot below shows a hint of flowers on the inside at the neckline. The last minute facing worked. Every seam is either french seamed or self-made bias bound. And I added the purple bias for colour and a vertical line. We petites know why.
Notice the cap sleeves. This sleeve pattern was traced from Butterick 5328. When I originally used this cap sleeve, it was tight so I widened it by 2.5cm for more movement.
Here’s a ‘lean against the wall’ shot. The cap sleeve does peek over my shoulders – just as I wanted. It’s really cool to wear on hot days.

And the ‘yes it covers my caboose’ shot – not flattering. Back to the gym I go.

 
There is a shirt version in this fabric but I’m working on the deep purple skinny jeans to go with it. That might sound like tos much colour but you can let me know when I show you the final ensemble.

Fabric stash #3 ‘Microsleep’ – Butterick 4985

try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker(“UA-7221807-1”);
pageTracker._trackPageview();
} catch(err) {}
Here’s my second fabric stash piece. It’s a plain white shirt with some crotchet lace detail on the sleeves and the collar. When I was about to take the photo, I realised the collar lace was underneath and not on top as planned. I took my time making this shirt up because I need a classic white shirt so yesterday when I finally put the collar onto the shirt I didn’t check what I was doing. So in 5 minutes, I’ve added a lace piece on the top of the collar. Phew.

Relaxed layer – McCalls 5050

This top is now going to be a pretty layer when I just want to relax on the weekend. The fabric is a silk chiffon so I’ll be wearing a singlet top underneath. Comments about this top consistently mentioned that it’s a maternity look top and you can adjust the front to adopt this for maternity wear. In my case, I just wanted a soft layer and use for the fabric.

The fabric is from Pitt Trading and I’ve been wanting to make it into something useful but feminine. Next I’ll try to add elastic on the sleeve, just above the elbow, to keep the waist slightly defined.

The side seams have french seams, clear elastic is used in the neckline casing but after unsuccessfully trying shirring elastic in the waist, I settled for more clear elastic. I’ve got some pale pink ribbon that the I might try along the neckline.

The biggest decision was how to finish the seams, hems and neckline because of the fine fabric. It works.