Breaking rules

Two lace fabrics and a large print might sound like a recipe for disaster. That’s what I thought and I decided to try this when I tested Miz Mozelle by Jaime Christina.

All of these fabrics are Pitt Trading remnants. There are florals on the lace pieces and the dress fabric has a huge floral print on it.

In the process of making this test dress, I lost the collar piece so I used a similar collar pattern from a different pattern. It worked.

The Chantilly lace collar on this test dress is not finished. The raw edge is on the outside edge of the collar.

I had to reshape the lace sleeve hem because it looked a bit too drab. You can see how I adjusted the sleeve pattern piece.

The actual pattern has a separate bodice and skirt piece.
To keep the dress print consistent, I lengthened the bodice to dress length. The tricky bit was sewing the bias tape inside the waistline so I could have the elastic gathers at my waistline.

This dress is low maintenance and forgiving.

I’m very happy this experiment worked out.

Next up, the version I wanted with a bit more detailing.

Follow

Butterick 6351 #1

Butterick 6351 is deceptive. It’s described as a tulip shaped, open-back dress/jumpsuit. 

It was the open-back style that drew me in.

The line drawing helped me decide this would become my Summer pattern of choice.
Erica Bunker did an amazing version of the dress, inspired by Dolce and Gabbana.

I tested the tulip skirt version using a caramel coloured Hawaiian floral print after applying a few adjustments to the pattern pieces. 

The V-neckline was my redrafting and isn’t part of this pattern.

The key failing of this pattern is the elastic waistband and zipper combination.

See how the zipper teeth are showing next to the elastic. 

I so much difficulty closing the zipper when I put on this dress so in the end I kept the zipper closed and the dress was just at easy to get in and out of.

Above is my solution to the zipper/elastic waistband combination. I’ve added an internal button and button tab.

I did sew down the back of the back so the hibiscus print matches.

I wore this version in Brisbane last year when Marjorie and Jenny took Luci and I out fabric shopping. 

We had a fun day exploring here at Selective Fine Fabrics. We seriously could have spent more time here but we had Frocktails on that night. 

Here’s one of the dresses I made using fabric I bought from Selective Fine Fabrics. 

I have two more pieces to make from that day.

After wearing this dress version for the day, I was able to figure out the bodice parts to tweak.
I’ll show you the test jumpsuit version of this pattern next.