The technical notes for this Equestrian tail coat blouse is here.
At the moment I’m trying to develop a couple of Steampunk pieces for a bit of variety. I keep collecting style prompts on my pinterest board.
Dawn specialises in Steampunk. She goes through lots of gear I’ve not considered before. I’ve been reading Dawn’s posts on military-inspired steampunk. Her ‘clipped skirt’ image is what I thought was doable and wearable.
This skirt is a basic a-line skirt with a high waistline. When I looked closely at this image, I thought I could so a similar job with a few variations for my height.
Minerva Crafts UK has this fabric in stock (Beige/Black check polyester/wool blend suiting) and it’s got the right feel and weight to it for this skirt style.
It didn’t take long to rough draft a high waistline to my basic a-line skirt pattern.
Below is the lining pattern and after I made up the lining in a woven fabric, I ended up taking out more width at the darts. I used the dart seams to sew the boning for a firmer waistline fit.
|Initial skirt lining pieces|
Below is a photo of the boning sewn onto the lining.
The metal zipper and back buckles are a cool feature. I would have liked to add more hardware onto this skirt but it would have looked too heavy on me.
Next up… the Equestrian tail coat blouse and then… the full steampunk reveal on Thursday.