Butterick 6351 perfected

This rayon from Minerva Crafts worked the best for Butterick 6351 jumpsuit. 

After making the test dress and jumpsuit versions with firmer fabrics, this rayon draped the best as you can see below.

See what I mean? This rayon has great draping qualities and looks flattering even from this angle!

The floral print was fun to work with when I was cutting out the pattern pieces and placing the pattern in a flattering way. 

When I pre-washed the fabric, it held its colour even in the Summer sun. There’s a slight gold colour on this fabric that shows up really well in real life.

As you can see, this kit came with some really lovely lining and contrast buttons for the back bodice.

The real beauty of this pattern – no zipper is required.

The pants front has two pleats at the waist. This photo shows there’s no odd print placement on the front pants.

As you can see, the print placement at the back worked well too.

Adding interfacing around the neckline is really all the work you need to reinforce the neckline for a clean finish.

The final front bodice has the V-neckline folded to suit my needs. I’ve also folded down the front shoulder seam for my forward shoulders. The front bust dart is 2cm shorter than the bust dart provided.

On the bodice back, I’ve taken out 2cm from the armhole. I’ve also raised the shoulder seam by 2cm, as part of the forward shoulder adjustment.

Above and the pants adjustments. Shortened length taken out at the knee and I’ve shortened the front centre front curve.

Part of the sewing process required a bit of accuracy so I used my Prym knitting and sewing gauge to get the stitching line right. This knit and sew gauge is easy to set and it doesn’t move until you’re ready to adjust it again. It has both cm and inch measurements, that I love because I work with both measurement.

I consider this a more ‘formal’ jumpsuit because of the fabric, the fit and the hem length.

This jumpsuit was perfect to wear at a family lunch. We do love our food.

This month for Aussie and Kiwi sewing bods, I’m giving away two prizes:
– the full kit including the pattern and
– just the pattern Butterick 6351. 

Let me know what you’d like to win by heading over the my blog post on Minerva Crafts website by Thursday 9 February.

I was really thrilled when Andrea received her prize kit last month and I’m looking forward to seeing who the lucky giveaway winners are this month.

Don’t forget that you still get 10% off any Prym product purchase using ‘maria’ discount code.

Butterick 6351 #2

The jumpsuit test version is a tiny bit different to the dress version.

The pants have front pleats and not slight gathers.

The jumpsuit doesn’t include the zipper!

On the bodice, I took out some room from the back armhole. It gaped a bit too much.

Then I shortened the pants length, as you do.

The back pants balloon too much in this cotton fabric. This was a fun jumpsuit to wear on a hot, humid morning. 

I guess I’ll need to use a softer fabric for the jumpsuit. I think I can arrange that!

You’ll see what a difference the fabric content makes when I show you the rayon print version on Thursday.

Butterick 6351 #1

Butterick 6351 is deceptive. It’s described as a tulip shaped, open-back dress/jumpsuit. 

It was the open-back style that drew me in.

The line drawing helped me decide this would become my Summer pattern of choice.
Erica Bunker did an amazing version of the dress, inspired by Dolce and Gabbana.

I tested the tulip skirt version using a caramel coloured Hawaiian floral print after applying a few adjustments to the pattern pieces. 

The V-neckline was my redrafting and isn’t part of this pattern.

The key failing of this pattern is the elastic waistband and zipper combination.

See how the zipper teeth are showing next to the elastic. 

I so much difficulty closing the zipper when I put on this dress so in the end I kept the zipper closed and the dress was just at easy to get in and out of.

Above is my solution to the zipper/elastic waistband combination. I’ve added an internal button and button tab.

I did sew down the back of the back so the hibiscus print matches.

I wore this version in Brisbane last year when Marjorie and Jenny took Luci and I out fabric shopping. 

We had a fun day exploring here at Selective Fine Fabrics. We seriously could have spent more time here but we had Frocktails on that night. 

Here’s one of the dresses I made using fabric I bought from Selective Fine Fabrics. 

I have two more pieces to make from that day.

After wearing this dress version for the day, I was able to figure out the bodice parts to tweak.
I’ll show you the test jumpsuit version of this pattern next.