Swap 2010

As you can see, I think my dark side swap is done.


As you can see, I kind of went all over the place. I’ve covered option 1. I’ve matched at least one print on these skirts and tops. I’ve used embroidered fabric from my stash and included some embroidery on the sleeves of my black wrap top (far right). This top also has a trim that I’ve used as the button enclosure.

The additional belt is used on the spot top. My aim was to get some work clothes that would be comfortable. I’ve worn most of these to work now.

The two garments above were ones that I made at the beginning of this SWAP but forgot about.


Technical stuff (or the changes I always make):

  • Sway back adjustment (2.5 cm)
  • roll shoulder adjustment (2 cm)
  • full bust adjustment (C)
  • full derrier adjustment (up to 3cm)
  • neckline gaposis (2cm)
  • armhole gaposis for sleeveless garments (2cm)
  • lowered waistline (2 cm)

Types of garments I wear to work:

  • a line skirt
  • knot tops
  • wrap tops
  • cross over tops
  • open neck polo tops
  • fitted dresses

I have one more item to make – something with an interesting closure – for closure on this SWAP. I’m so over black….

Duo skirt weekend


Here’s the black skirt (Butterick 3597) with a border edge hem.

I think this does it for me with the dark coloured SWAP. The only piece that didn’t really fit (wine coloured knot knit top)needed a partner. As you can see below it now has a dark cherry colour skirt to go with it.

I’ve already made a roll collar dress out of this fabric, so it’s now another a-line skirt.

The fabric had a weird weave fault in it, so I’ve placed it smack dab on the lower front hem. It’s my way of making something bad, good. This fabric is an upholstery rayon fabric that I bought for $2/mtr.

black knit top – kwik sew 2694

On Saturday while my sewing buddies were over, I took out my swap pieces and asked for their opinion on how my SWAP plan was going. The main comment I got was the china print skirt only needed a black knit top.


At the January Pitt Trading sale, I bought this black poly knit as a ‘just in case’ piece.

Here’s how it worked out.

I made sure my face was taken out of this shot because I was really pooped last night when DH took this pic.


Tech note: Sway back, full bust adjustment, neckline gaposis, shortened shoulder length, shortened sleeve, FOE.

Swap tally – The next piece is a basic black skirt (fully lined, zipper, no waistband) that’s 1/3 of the way through. I just realised that this will be the final piece.
I’ll go back to the purple pieces once the skirt is done so I can but the black out of my sight, just for now.

Upside down maxi dress

Here’s my first attempt at recycling a RTW garment.


I love shirring and we’ve had our end of summer sales. At Tightrope they had stacks of shirred maxi dresses for $10. I wanted a top that had shirring on the hips so I bought a maxi dress that had shirring around the bust, cut it in half, turned it upside down and then created the neckline and armholes.


The shirring is now on my hips.


I played with the armholes a bit to make sure you couldn’t get a side view of what’s beneath the top. My cousin’s who know I’m a dag, found it amusing. Maybe I’ve now got some design cred?
The left over fabric will be used for a top shortly.
Tomorrow I’m cycling training so that’s it for now.

Black wrap top – butterick 5328

Here’s one of my tops for my dark swap.

The fabric is from Pitt Trading and for a cotton it’s quiet fragile.

The embroidery border is only placed on the front panel and I’ve matched it on both left and right panels. I’ve used black buttons instead of ties to keep the shirt on, rather than have it slip off.

I’ve also added detail on the sleeve hem to keep focus towards my face instead of at my hips. The sleeve gathers were also added to create the illusion of a waistline – ha.

I took out the excess fullness in the back by adding in another dart, rather than take the vent any further. The top does have a swap back adjustment, rolled shoulder adjectment, full bust adjustment and additional fiddling with the front gathers to have them where the fullness is needed.

overlocker 0 – velosewer 1

Yesterday I was trying to finish the black wrap blouse with border embroidery and the overlocker kept making uneven stitches. I rethreaded the little terror a few times with no luck. The thread was running out and broke while rethreading the new thread. I have a Janome mylock 534D.

My blouse fabric ripped at the sleeve edge on one of the front pieces while I was trying it on. Part of the challenge of the blouse is getting the gathers to sit on the bust. The rip made me a bit fearful that the fabric was weak, so I decided to overlock the seam edges.

In the end, I replaced the thread on the right lower looper and rethreaded it
Step 1. right lower looper,

Step 2. left lower looper,
Step 3. right upper thread
Step 4. left upper thread.

Now I’m putting the sleeves on. They have gathers at the sleeve head and I’ll make them a bit gathered at the sleeve hem too. I might raise the sleeve hem as well.

Border line – Butterick 5328

As I’m still working on my SWAP, I found a piece of black woven fabric with a heavy embroidered border. I bought this from Pitt Trading at least three years ago. I thought it would be good on a dress but I’ve used this on the bottom hem of this cross over top.

I’m using Butterick 5328 and I’ve already made this up twice before.

This week I was in the mood to alter and cut out a few pieces to sew on the weekend and this was one of them. A pattern piece was missing so I traced this from a top I made up last year (lucky).
I’ve added a full bust adjustment and I’ve made the sleeve gathered. I’m not sure how long/short the sleeve will be as yet. It will depend on where it ends, in relation to my bust. I always avoid sleeve hems that are level with my bust. I don’t need the attention here.