Green-ery

At the begining of the past week, I finished off my first b5242. It works really well with a lined bodice as the pattern suggests. I will make this again, with the right fabric.

The neckline is well placed and from the PR Reviews I lengthened the front waist darts by 3 cm, to avoid the maternity dress look. Below is the back skirt. I’ve taken out some of the skirt fullness. I don’t have the height to carry it off. The other issue is the skirt was too long and made the dress seem matronly, so I’ve raised the hemline and will adjust it again at the centre front again.
Our Australia Day holiday we had an eating fest but I woke up early that day with a thought, so here’s how I followed it through. Today the weather is going to be warm and humid. We’ve got a wedding and the one shoulder dress that I’ve made won’t suit the church part of the ceremony. If I was younger, I could get away with it but it’s been drummed into my head, not to flash too much flesh in church. When we’ve visited temples and other places of worship in other countries, it’s a sign of respect so I’ve made this dress to deal with the heat. But I’ve also made a matching cardi.


M2241 is definitely an oldie that’s been sitting in my pattern stash. Both fabrics were purchased on our Melbourn shopping tour of 2009. The dress is simple and unlined. I’ve placed the straps where my bra straps sit – bonus:) This is a 12 size and I’ve done the back shaping for a better fit. Together, it looks like a sweetheart neckline. The fabric is a stretch woven and I’ve used an invisible zipper.
 
Here’s a close up of the cardi finishes. I’ve used green satin bias binding. The hems are the selvedge of the lace fabric. I’ve used boring M5978. I hand stitched the binding so that I could sew one stitching line on the front.
 This week I’ll get back to making Simplicity 2369 below.

Express clean out

There is still lots to clean out in our house and yesterday I spent some time planning a few items to wear when we go to the US next month while pulling out the fabrics that just won’t do anymore (stratchy feel, dated print, poor quality and ‘what was I thinking’). Granted, none of this weekend’s pieces will keep me warm, they are layers.

 

I bought this fabric in Melbourne two years ago when 5 of our sewing buddy group spent 5 days fabric shopping. I focused on buying purple and green fabrics and this is a piece of memories from that trip. I’ve used a combat print FOE on the sleeve hem and the centre trim uses the selvedge. The front neck has been lowered and I used the selvedge on the centre front seam of the collar. This is view A without the belt. If the hem was lower, I would add a belt, but I’m a bit short in height to carry this off well. PS, I’ve made the bodice slimmer so I’ll put the updated pics up tonight. There’s just no shape otherwise.

This is the fifth new pattern that I’ve adjusted this month and I was really happy that the hems were even. It’s now ingrained in my mind to measure from the waist point on the pattern or use the side seam marks to double check the length. The centre back hem is 2 cm lower than the front to cover my behind evenly. In the cold, I’ll wear this over a black thermal, like the picture. That’s the plan. The next version will have seams great on the shoulder seams.

 
Here’s Butterick 5525 View B. The front and back fabric is left over from last week’s green dress. I just love the colour and the way this fabric handles (from The Fabric Store). The sleeve contrast is also a left over piece that I know won’t wear well but it does the job. When I started to use this print, I stopped, took out similar useless fabric pieces from my stash and they are now in the local charity bin. I’m over poor quality fabric.
Anyway, the centre back seam is not on the fold. I’ve shaped it and it suits my sway back better. After I sewed this top, the front neckline was gapping too much so I unpicked it and too 1.5cm off both sides of the centre front side seams and the neckline now sits much better. This pattern has a couple of neat versions that I plan to do.
In the pipeline is M5978 cardi in a print. This pattern is kind of boring, but I’ll try it. There’s also a Maggie London knit dress B5242 ready to make up. There are plans for Simplicity 2369 dress and another Maggie London knit B5418