At the begining of the past week, I finished off my first b5242. It works really well with a lined bodice as the pattern suggests. I will make this again, with the right fabric.
The neckline is well placed and from the PR Reviews I lengthened the front waist darts by 3 cm, to avoid the maternity dress look. Below is the back skirt. I’ve taken out some of the skirt fullness. I don’t have the height to carry it off. The other issue is the skirt was too long and made the dress seem matronly, so I’ve raised the hemline and will adjust it again at the centre front again.
Our Australia Day holiday we had an eating fest but I woke up early that day with a thought, so here’s how I followed it through. Today the weather is going to be warm and humid. We’ve got a wedding and the one shoulder dress that I’ve made won’t suit the church part of the ceremony. If I was younger, I could get away with it but it’s been drummed into my head, not to flash too much flesh in church. When we’ve visited temples and other places of worship in other countries, it’s a sign of respect so I’ve made this dress to deal with the heat. But I’ve also made a matching cardi.
M2241 is definitely an oldie that’s been sitting in my pattern stash. Both fabrics were purchased on our Melbourn shopping tour of 2009. The dress is simple and unlined. I’ve placed the straps where my bra straps sit – bonus:) This is a 12 size and I’ve done the back shaping for a better fit. Together, it looks like a sweetheart neckline. The fabric is a stretch woven and I’ve used an invisible zipper.
Here’s a close up of the cardi finishes. I’ve used green satin bias binding. The hems are the selvedge of the lace fabric. I’ve used boring M5978. I hand stitched the binding so that I could sew one stitching line on the front.
This week I’ll get back to making Simplicity 2369 below.