If you’ve been blogging and or sewing for a while you may already know Elizabeth of Elizabeth made this.
Elizabeth really does sew anything that’s not nailed down and her Christmas cooking feats at the moment are quite impressive. She’s constantly creating and keeping her family looked after.
Elizabeth has developed and is hosting the Day and Night Dress Challenge. It’s really simple – make two dresses – one for the day and one for night.
As she explains: “I’ve been wanting to get back into performing with my violin, and it’s been a number of years since I had a black dress in my closet. Though I need a black dress that’s polished and appropriate for orchestra performances, the truth is that I seldom wear black. The idea of challenging myself to make a black dress became much more appealing when I thought about making an everyday dress at the same time” Read more about Elizabeth’s idea here.
Are you interested in joining the day and night dress challenge? There are two parts to it and some lovely sponsors that are providing two prizes to the winners and there’s also a random vote for another prize.
The challenge is to make 2 dresses for yourself:
- A dress with a day look: This can be anything! Shirtdresses, knit dresses, sweater dresses, wrap dresses, the sky is the limit. Sew up a dress that suits your life and expresses your own sense of style. I want to see color, pattern, and texture here.
- A dress with a night look: Night look dresses should be black, and they can be as fancy or as simple as you choose. Think about a dress that could go to the opera or a cocktail party or anywhere else where you need to look effortlessly chic and sharp.
Dresses are to be made during the time of the challenge (January 8th-28th 2017 for the community challenge). This is a contest for women’s garments only.
- The blog tour will take place from Sunday, January 8th- Saturday, January 14th 2017.
- Entries for the community challenge will open on Sunday, January 8th and will close on Saturday, January 28th 12 am MST. There will be a link up available for entrants to post their dresses. Feel free to chronicle your makes on social media #dayandnightdresschallenge on Instagram and Twitter or join the Facebook group here, but only entries posted to the link up will be considered for the prizes.
- Voting will begin on January 29th and close on Saturday, February 4th.
- There will be 2 winners of the Day and Night Dress Challenge as determined by vote. Winners will each receive a prize package which will be detailed in a future post.
What’s my involvement?
There are two parts to this challenge and I’m involved in the blog tour to help get you inspired to make your two dresses.
I’m working Victory Patterns Nicola dress because it’s Summer and I love wrap dresses.
When Elizabeth approached me to join in, I was already planning on making a new Summer dress for my next Minerva Crafts make so my day dress was already planned using this bold and large John Kaldor floral print.
Now to sort out the evening version in black by diving into my fabric stash. I may need to lengthen my evening version. You’ll see the results of my test dress on instagram.
In the meantime I’ll be checking out all the sewing bloggers taking part to inspire your creations because they’ve all go their own styles.
Think about this challenge and if it inspires you, join in.