We had arranged to have dinner with friends at their house and I agreed to make something Cypriot, so I decided Koupes would be worthwhile testing on us. Our friends really loved them served as an appetiser with lots of lemon juice and so there were none to take home. I made more for us the very next day.
3 cups water
2 cups cracked wheat
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup plain flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Soak the wheat in water and let it sit for 2 hours.
- The mix all the ingredients together. I added oregano, salt and some curry powder to the wheat mix.
- Make the mixture into balls and fill each ball with any mince filling or a cooked mushroom filling.
- Deep fry or bake the balls until brown and serve with lemon!
- You’ll get about 12 hand sized Koupes with this recipe.
Because of the oil, I drained these twice before serving them.