We normally make pancakes on a Sunday morning using the Commonsense Cookery Book recipe – 1 c flour, 1 egg, 1 pinch salt and 1 1/4 c milk.
This morning DH decided to make Classic American-style pancakes from David Herbert’s recipes in yesterday’s The Weekend Australian Magazine (page 30).
The main changes he made to the recipe is skipped adding the melted butter, only added 1 T sugar, added 1 egg only and substituted wholemeal flour for plain flour. And he usually added bananas to the mixture – my favourite. He added bananas for this version.
1 c plain flour
1 t baking powder
2 T caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
3/4 c milk
20g butter melted (plus extra to grease pan)
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk and melted butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into the centre of the dry ingredients and mix until smooth batter forms, adding extra milk if needed.
- Let batter stand for 10 mins.
- Head a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Lightly grease pan with butter,.
- Ladel batter into pan and cook for about 1 minute or until bubbles appear on the pancake and the underside is golden.
- Using a spatula, flip pancake and cook for a further 45 – 60 seconds before turning out.
Makes 6 – 8.
They were definitely heavier than the Commonsense Cookbook recipe. DH liked this recipe.