|Trying to be photogenic|
With DH away most of last week, I had time to play with this jacket. The days started to warm up last week so I freaked out and decided to finish this jacket asap.
Today it’s cold again so it was great to wear the jacket, after finishing the hand stitched hems after breakfast.
The fabric is a soft thick woollen so the sleeves were easy to manipulate into the jacket body.
I’ve used sunsilky lining – my favourite – because it performs really well.
I’ve made this jacket in linen but on seeing the basic jacket basted together, before adding the sleeves, it was big and bulky.
The body was 5cm too long at the front so I snipped away until it sat just above the crotch line.
|Back view with additional darts|
I’ve added in two additional darts in the back and the back sits really well.
If I taper the front darts, the side pockets will sit open and not close properly.
You can see the pocket lining from the back in this picture.
The fabric is interfaced throughout with armoweft to help keep its shape.
I’ve resewed in the sleeves because they just wrong – too far down my arms.
Now the sewn-in ribbon thread was the only way I could make the front opening sit properly. I initially used the ribbon on the collar and I realised this was the only method I could use to sew through a four bulky layers and avoid break more sewing machine needles.
I didn’t break any sewing machine needles this time. My fingers however are killing me.
The fabric is a remnant from a coat I made at least four years ago and I still can’t recall where I bought the fabric from.
If I attempt this jacket again, and I will, I’ll use zippers on the side pocket to make the jacket more figure hugging. I did a jacket stash count and there are four more jackets in the pipeline, but once the weather hots up again, they’re going into the “freezer.”
Very smart and love your stitching. I wishi I could have got as much done as you did when my DH was away last week.
You've been busy. Is this the same pattern as the others. See you at the guild.