Blood moon jacket

This jacket took 4 days to make under the blood moon in September, hence the name Blood moon jacket. 


Using Vogue 7764 and some ‘wine’ corduroy from Minerva Crafts with a few neatly placed metal buttons, this jacket was a warm layer when we traveled in October.


She’s lovely to wear and this is the third time I’ve made this pattern with some final tweaks.

This cord from Minerva Crafts is quite thick and firm but easy to manage especially when sewing in the sleeves. If fitted sleeves make you lose your cool, this cord will keep you humming.

If you’ve yet to make a lined jacket, the fun is finding a great lining to go with the look you want. I bought this lining from ‘Clear It’ in Melbourne.

I uuhmed and aahed about adding shoulder pad where the epaulets were but I added them in for a firmer fit and a more military look. 

The jacket detailing above were made on day 1.

I so enjoyed correctly putting these pocket on the front. I really did – true ‘sewing geek’ material.


This is my work in progress on the second day/night before I left my sewing room to sleep off this detailed work.

Day 3 took a bit more guts as I had to sew in the lining.

Below is the finished jacket with the sleeves sewn in.

Here’s the finished jacket first worn at Port Macquarie in October. I was fortunate enough to go to SewBusyLizzie Sewport weekend in October. 

The timing to make this jacket was also perfect as I’d entered this jacket in Pattern Review’s Sewing Bee challenge. I made it through Rounds 1, 2 and 3 but didn’t get through to the final Round. 

On our first morning in New York, it was just cool enough to wear this jacket in Central Park.

Below is the reworked back lining pieces as I got some good sewing advice at McCalls HQ


The back lining was bothering me so I asked the experts for their advice about making the lining ‘sit properly’ as this pattern doesn’t have lining pieces. I ended up following their advice and sewed the back centre waist seam of the lining to the jacket centre waist seam.

The other thing I changed was my belt buckle.


I forgot to order a belt buckle from Minerva so I picked one up from New York’s textiles area. The original buckle was a ‘stash’ buckle’.

Thanks Minerva Crafts for this corduroy fabric and buttons. I love adding metal notions you stock.

Swap 2010

As you can see, I think my dark side swap is done.


As you can see, I kind of went all over the place. I’ve covered option 1. I’ve matched at least one print on these skirts and tops. I’ve used embroidered fabric from my stash and included some embroidery on the sleeves of my black wrap top (far right). This top also has a trim that I’ve used as the button enclosure.

The additional belt is used on the spot top. My aim was to get some work clothes that would be comfortable. I’ve worn most of these to work now.

The two garments above were ones that I made at the beginning of this SWAP but forgot about.


Technical stuff (or the changes I always make):

  • Sway back adjustment (2.5 cm)
  • roll shoulder adjustment (2 cm)
  • full bust adjustment (C)
  • full derrier adjustment (up to 3cm)
  • neckline gaposis (2cm)
  • armhole gaposis for sleeveless garments (2cm)
  • lowered waistline (2 cm)

Types of garments I wear to work:

  • a line skirt
  • knot tops
  • wrap tops
  • cross over tops
  • open neck polo tops
  • fitted dresses

I have one more item to make – something with an interesting closure – for closure on this SWAP. I’m so over black….

Duo skirt weekend


Here’s the black skirt (Butterick 3597) with a border edge hem.

I think this does it for me with the dark coloured SWAP. The only piece that didn’t really fit (wine coloured knot knit top)needed a partner. As you can see below it now has a dark cherry colour skirt to go with it.

I’ve already made a roll collar dress out of this fabric, so it’s now another a-line skirt.

The fabric had a weird weave fault in it, so I’ve placed it smack dab on the lower front hem. It’s my way of making something bad, good. This fabric is an upholstery rayon fabric that I bought for $2/mtr.