Jaywalk (Alexa/Avocado) hoodie

Here’s where my stripe hoodie inspiration came from

source
I love Lululemon jackets, Nike jackets even the Aldi jacket I bought last year.
source
Rhianna wore a cool version too.
source
Then I found this…so I had to stop researching and decide on what to make.

Then I made this.

This is a blend of Tessuti’s Alexa tee (body and sleeves) with Avocado hoodie (hood and sleeve cuffs with thumb hole).

Playing with the stripes and matching them kept me pondering for days. I had to keep putting this project down between each step.


Hoodie:

I did plan and make the hoodie but placing a zip on zip off piece across the back neckline didn’t work. The hoodie stripes on the outside are vertical and on the inside they are horizontal, so when I wear it, it becomes a hood/cape/collar.


Neckline:
I drafted this to cover my neck.

Sleeves:
Anita’s sleeves are a good fit and length but my idea is to wear this to the gym during the winter, hence the thumbhole sleeve cuffs.


Pockets:
After speaking all things activewear with Susan (measuretwicecutonce) and Joanne, it was really clear that zippered pockets in a seam line are the strongest. But I made these pockets not on the seamline. 


My RTW jacket has the pocket bag sewn into the hem and into the zipper, so that’s what I did.

Zipper tape:
I couldn’t resist this measuring tape trim #sewinggeek.


And that’s my Jaywalk hoodie:)



Jaywalk polo tops

Stripes and polo tops made sense to me, especially for weekend wear. The Jaywalk fabric from Tessutis was perfect for these tops.

I had been mulling about how to use this stripe fabric and created a Stripe pinterest board. And then I realised, I wear polo type tops on weekends anyway, hence a couple of Jaywalk tees.


Here’s where I started. The Alexa tee front piece is divided into 3 angled sections.
 I’ve numbered each section and sewn these together before sewing the top.
The top piece has the stripes running across the body so this was a key piece to get right.
Then I had to match up the stripes on the sleeve.
Here’s how I had to pin the centre back together.
The collar and collar facing were taken from Butterick 3386 that I’ve used before.
See how the lines match on the sleeve and under the sleeve?
Once I’d figured out the construction, I made this again.

And I promptly wore this version last weekend.


 Excuse this rear view.

Please feel free to make your own version.

Cheers.

Tall order border – McCalls 2113

This fabric was interesting to look at and I haven’t sewn a garment with a border print in years so I bought this earlier in the year at a Tessuti’s sale. The pattern is no longer available although I’ve used this dress for dress/jacket work outfit. It’s a simple style with bust darts and waistline darts so while I have a slight waist, I’ll try to use it. With an invisible zip, this dress is easy to make.

I decided to use the border at the top of the dress, after playing with it on the dummy (not me this time). There were a few bits of border fabric left so I added these bits to the sleeves for a bit of balance. There’s no lining because the fabric is very light-weight. I would line the dress if the fabric was medium-weight and scratchie.