Teeny lingerie

Susan recently released her new Emma racer back bralette and slip.

Did you see the dark moody floral version she made?

She’s developed this style because traditional straps on nightwear and slips just don’t work for her shoulder shape. Racer back tops are really supportive for gymwear so I wanted to road test this pattern out.

The slip I made was such a game changer for me. The straps are so supportive. The upper bust holds to me firmly. The skirt on the slip lends itself to applying all sorts of gorgeous knit lace.

I was able to use up bra elastic, bra notions and black tricot that I had in my stash.

There are also lace remnants used to on the bra cups.

The lace on the hem was bought last week.


Susan’s a friend and she gave me this pattern to test. Yes I admire her work and ability to develop patterns that are different and useful.

It’s Winter here and I tend to wear slips to stop knit dresses from ‘sticking’ to me.

Now for the bralette. 
This is the first version I made and I had a ball making it.

I’m not the ideal candidate for a bralette but my amazing, youngest niece (all the nieces and nephews are amazing) was thrilled to have a bralette made by her aunty. Yay me!

It’s not often I sew for others so I did a bit of research and asked her Mum what colours to use. I had thoughts of florals, gorgeous lace, all sorts of ideas. 

Thankfully she’s an urban kid at heart so black and grey were what she wanted. This set kept me using my lingerie stash.

Ok, I bought the grey fabric but the rest is all from my stash.

The instructions for both the slip and the bralette are helpful and complete. 
That meant I could follow them easily in between bouts of housework over the weekend.

The bottoms are made using View B from McCalls 5651. 


The bottoms took a bit of time to work out because the McCalls pattern doesn’t use elastic on the legs, so I had to work out the elastic lengths I needed. 

Above is View A and View B in lace remnants for me and not young Miss. The lining in these views is too short and also not as wide as the front pants.

So I think I’ll give Susan’s Emma racerback pattern lots of thumbs up.

Those Prym sewing notions need to be used so I have plenty of lingerie projects ahead.

Follow

Lacewear

Lacewear was the best title for this month’s Minerva Crafts post as I’ve used pink light stretch knit lining and lace for Burda 7186 lingerie pattern.

These pieces are functional and pretty. 
Slips make me feel more comfortable when I wear these under knit dresses. There’s less ‘cling’.


This cami set is a replacement for my summer sleepwear. Gone are the daggy shorts and worn out tee.


Minerva Crafts has a big range of these knit linings so when I put my order in, Vicki kindly matched the lace to this pink for me. The main lace criteria was a 10 cm wide lace. This lace is slightly wider, so I was really happy with Vicki’s choice.


Uhm…I forgot to order the strap notions so I dived into my bra stash for these. I know Minerva Crafts stock these bra notions so I need to remember to read my patterns better to check what notions I need. They do have premade bra straps.


Pattern adjustments

These were minimal. I made the slip first and chose size 12.

As I had recently made a basic slip, I checked the patterns to the finished slip and shortened it by 18cm.

I made the cami set next so I chose size 14 for a loose fit. Not too loose but enough that I wouldn’t feel restricted. 


I added 2cm to the length of the centre back seam for my ‘caboose’.


Added swimwear elastic

On the slip, I added swimwear elastic across the top back panel for a firmer fit.


For the cami set, I added swimwear elastic across the top of the front and back panel. I’m still thinking about added elastic across the bottom of these top panels too.


Sewing lace

While the average person wouldn’t think about sewing lace, I kept taking photos of the sewing process because I sometimes think sewing lace is difficult.  

The photo above show the preparation of the front bodice.
Sewing the darts and finishing off the armhole was simply straight stitching.

Once I had sewn on the lace, this slip was starting to really look good.

Here’s a close up of the finished slip bodice.

Here’s a close up of the finished lace hem.

The result was sensational to me.

Knit lining

While this knit has minimal stretch but it still has some stretch. I used a stretch 90/14 machine needle to sew this fabric and mainly used a straight stitch.

I used a fine zigzag stitch to sew on the lace. Above is the a closer look at trimming back the base fabric to show the lace.

Strap construction
Burda suggests you construct the two parts of the straps separately, so I did for the slip. 

Below shows how I’ve moved the needle to the right to sew up the straps.

By the time I started working on the cami, I cut out one piece of fabric instead of two.

It’s so much easier sewing up a long ‘strap’ and then cutting it to size.

Here’s a closer photo.

I can safely say this pattern was worth getting to make these basic lingerie sets.

Sewing these basics didn’t take too much time and I can tell you this pattern will be used again.

While I forgot to order the bra strap notions, I actually got the lace order right.

Thanks for this lovely lacewear Minerva Crafts.