The first week of February was busy with Deb’s Sew Grateful week.
The giveaway patterns are now on their way by carrier pidgeon to jpluo. Congratulations.
What you can see above are the makings on the Enid shift dress. My attempt at making the pattern from scratch is in the background and I used the seam allowance guide to cut out the lining and the lace overlay.
This is dress is the basis for my second fearless project this month.
Thank you Melinda for the iphone suggestion on Melissa’s blog. I saw some ‘wetsuit’ fabric recently so I’ll give this armband a go. Melissa has lots of projects that she’s worked out and shared on her blog.
Draping and drafting a pattern from scratch – that’s what I’ll decided to do for Fearless February. Although I’ll be starting next week on 2 of my fearless projects. I have a few project deadlines to get through this week.
My comment is there on Victoria’s blog in black and white. As Dr Phil says “What were you thinking?”
So I have lace pieces in the fabric stash that I’d like to work on and TJ from The Perfect Nose enabled me last month with this perfect starting point – Enid Gilchrist!
I could try the easy route and make this ‘beach dress’ in soft, cool eyelet fabric for our humid summer weather.
However, being Fearless February, I’ll make the day dress and use eyelet or lace fabric. I have had one attempt at drafting this dress for a 36″ bust today. Fearless. Test dress is ready to cut out.
2: Showerproof Minoru #2
I made Minoru #2 because I’ve never used PUL fabric so this was a new experience. I was being fearless. I used Tasia’s tutorials to make this version better than Minoru #1. I wear Minoru #1 a lot. And this piece was finished early Feb to coincide with Deb’s Sew Grateful week. Thank you for your comments throughout Sew Grateful week.
3: Draping and lace
And Victoria has been waving draping resources at us over the last few months so I’ll have to do some reading and give draping a go later in Feb. I have Draping for apparel design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong on my desk.
However I did discover winter jungle prints…in my stash.
I’ve been admiring the Pattern Magic work that Melissa and Carolyn have been succeeding with for a while.This year I bought all 3 Pattern Magic books and they’re all in English but I have a habit of not reading the drafting instructions too closely. And since I started dabbling with the first book I found the Flickr group and Tracy of ‘the material girls’ work. Yippee!
What I didn’t realise was that once I showed Renata the first Pattern Magic book, she bought a copy too. So was spent a Saturday at The Remnant Warehouse drafting as best we could.
Below are the 3 drafts I attempted so far.
Pattern Magic page 60:
I tried my hand at the collar with two distinct expressions first. It looked simple but a casual observer noticed that the top collar is slimmer than the bottom collar. A head slap moment ensued. I’ve used Connie Crawford’s blouse (Butterick 5538) for this collar because I had used this pattern at a workshop recently.
|Marked cutting points on both sides of the collar.
It was later pointed out to me the top collar is skinnier that the bottom collar.
|The collar pieces have been cut and is ready to be spread to size.|
The top collar now has a squared collar point and the top collar is much skinnier than the bottom collar with the help of Angie Zimmerman. Angie was fascinated with Pattern Magic because she has been sewing for others and teaching sewing for a long time and the designs in the book inspired her creativeness too.
Here’s a close up of the collar in the finished toile. The front and back yokes are fake. This is where I took out some room below the shoulders on the front and back bodice pieces. I forgot to take the same amount out of the sleeve head, hence the gathers at the top of the sleeve. Voila, design feature:) The buttons were from my stash. After the bust cup adjustment workshop and the inclusion of the Pattern Magic collar my view is the blouse is baggy but comfortable.
Pattern Magic page 13:
Pattern Magic page 57: Then I had a go at the Bamboo shoot pattern. This was fun. I enjoyed analysing the design lines, when to start cutting and then “what do I do now” set in. I’ve used the Peony bodice for this trial.
|This is the front piece showing the cutting lines. I numbered them to keep tracke of where I was working.|
|This shows the spread of the cuts.|
|The piece is now on a paper to draw the final front pattern with the folds marked and numbered.|
On closer inspection, the top right fold was missing.
Here’s the inside stitching. This needs a bit more work. So I now have another draft to test in the New Year.