I made this pattern (McCalls 5633) a while ago for boardies (board shorts) so this version – ‘travelling pants’ – uses Minerva Crafts camo fabric.
Camo fabric might seem a bit junior for me and wearing billowy legged trousers wouldn’t be a great idea for me but ‘I really wanted them’ for our Route 66 road trip. It’s the vibe…(reference “The Castle” for the next line).
|At sunny Williams, Arizona – along Route 66
|This medium weight drill made me consider the leg width for a closer fit without making these trousers too tight to climb trails. I kept the leg width as is so I can refine these after our Route 66 road trip ends. So far, I’ve enjoyed wearing these cargo pants.
The basic pants pattern:
I still made my usual centre back adjustments – sway back and lowered centre back curve and made the long trousers version. The other thing I do is lower the centre front curve for the same reason. This is something I’ve learnt over time.
The pattern instructionsThe pattern instructions for McCalls 5633 are a dream to work through. They help you keep the pockets accurate and well finished. The metal buttons I’ve used on the pockets and on the waist were easy to find on Minerva Crafts website.
Our weather research indicated it might get cold very quickly so I added kept the longest leg length and didn’t add the hem tab. This fabric is printed on white so if I roll up the hem, it’s too strong a contrast – white cuff on dark printed fabric.
|We visited Zion National Park, Utah.
Those handy pockets:
I know from previous trouser making experience, when I add outer pockets:
– the base of the pocket can’t sit lower that 30cm from the waistline
– the pocket can’t more than 12cm wide and
– to fit my phone, it has to be 16cm deep with a pocket cover.
This planning made placing the outer pockets in the right spot for my ‘height’ (that always sounds funny to me). When we were hiking along one of the walking trails at Zion National Park, I had my phone in one outer pocket and my camera in the other pocket. Very handy indeed.
I used the faced waistband and the belt loop pattern as per the pattern. The instructions are clever so you don’t mess up the facing or belt loops.
Being a camo print, I didn’t stress about pattern matching on the side seams and using the faced waistband also meant no pattern matching.
I overlocked the seams and used a double thread for sewing the seams to provide more stable seams because of the type of wear these trousers were going to get. The waistline facing and pockets are double interfaced.
Did these pants survive?
All of this extra reinforcement, the trekking we, being washed and dried with commercial machines at hotels – yes these pants are still standing.
I can honestly say these pants are tough. Real tough.
My beach wardrobe is still progressing thanks to the Queens B’day weekend. McCalls 5633 is another unused pattern that I tackled to make boardshorts.
I had a quick squiz at those who had made these before and low and behold Sue had shared her disappoinment with this pattern. Thanks for sharing your experiences Sue. You made me do a bit more planning.
This pattern is really high at the front and I took off 1cm from the centre front so I added a black ‘click together’ belt with black tape. The black tape is the sort of tape you find on backpacks, so this won’t be affected by saltwater.
I kind of misjudged the room I needed for my rear I resewed the back seam. There’s a dart at the back and I added this in to get a better fit.
Every seam edge is overlocked. The belt carriers and waistline are the biggest bugbears of this pattern. I would have preferred to add a waistband, and I’ll do this next time. I’ve also skipped the cuffs. The front zipper is a chunky plastic navy zip that was in my stash too.
I haven’t shortened the rashie, I’ve just rolled it under so you can see how the waistline fits.
When I tried to prewash the fabric, the water just beaded on it, so I’m sure it will be good when I’m in the surf.