Swap #1 and #2

I’ve finished my first two SWAP items.
Option #1 has:
– 6 tops
– 4 bottoms
– 1 of your choice.
2 garments may be purchased or previously sewn.

1 will be a matched print or stripe.
1 will feature embroidery, beads or sashiko
1 will have buttons as the star feature.

#1
My first swap was lining my
purple haze skirt with a blue georgette. I’ve been wearing this skirt to work but it really needed lining so I’ve added it in. The fabric has a check in the weave and I’ve matched this at the side seams.

#2
My second item is a black skirt with an embroidered hem edge.

I bought this fabric from Pitt Trading at least 2 years ago. The fabric was a remnant and I have been wanting to make this up for a while but I was stuck on how to get the edging around the whole skirt hem.

I recently brought a skirt that was very girlie and when I wore it, I realised that the feature was only on the front piece. The back was plain. This was a really simple idea so I’ve used it on this simple a-line skirt

I’ve tried to match the pattern. The plain embroidered part is used on the back, so it blends in. I’ve also tried to match the front hemline with the back hemline too.
I’ve used an invisible zip. The centre back hem is lower than the front hem, to cover my tush.
I’ve overlocked the edges and used interfacing on the waistline, to give it stability.
The good thing is I can slim this skirt down when I lose my 5kg.
I’m hoping to use as much of my dark fabrics as part of my SWAP.

planning is key – McCalls 5753

try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker(“UA-7221807-1”);
pageTracker._trackPageview();
} catch(err) {} The skirt front is a nightmare. Yes. It’s my fault for not checking the waist and hip width of the skirt before I cut it out. I drew a line along where the side seam should be.
Granted, I love the pocket detail – pictures to come – but the front waist is 3cm too narrow on both hips, making it 6 cm too narrow. The skirt back needs 2cm more to fit properly over my posterior.
I’ll go back to the pattern and add the width to the middle of the skirt because the pocket detail will become very distorted. In the meantime, I’m going to cut out another skirt front and finish the dress – maybe.

New pattern stress – McCalls 5753

Last night I conquered the pockets and adjusted the bodice to fit me, as opposed to a tight squeeze. All weekend I was dreading the pockets because they’re a feature on my hips, that I was trying to avoid/change/amend/ignore.
Now I’ll be joining the bodice to the skirt (fingers crossed). I had to face up to the reality that I needed to do more planning and adjustments to the pattern, that I’ll do once I finish this fushia trial.

I will finish this new dress pattern and then try a new jacket pattern – more stress even with the normal adjustments. In the meantime, there are a couple of knit tops that I also want to fit in.

Keeping warm – McCalls 8971

This is a favourite pattern I’ve used for coats McCalls 8971.
The pinky coat is fabric I purchased at Pitt Trading. The fabric is silk and the weave is fairly open so I made the seams wider to ensure it would unravel too quickly as I sewed it up. The pockets are in the side seams so they don’t make me look smaller.

The beige coat is a softer wool fabric that has lots of interfacing and tailoring so that it stays in shape for a long time.
I can’t remember where I bought it from, but it took a few seasons to get the courage choose a pattern and make this coat. They’re both comfortable, warm and fit nicely over a tailored suit in the winter.
PS. If you’d like some more technical details, drop me a line.