Chloe by Victory patterns

With our meeting with Kristiann Boos of Victory patterns looming, I decided to sew Chloe version 2, with sleeves. 

 

Melbourne weather being a changeable affair, I needed to make this up in a classic fabric – navy with white polka dots in cotton. I can wear any shoes with this fabric.

The lace used for the sleeves is a remnant so I was very careful to cut out plenty so you can see the flowers on both sleeves. Acetate bias was used as were some largish shiny white buttons.

Adjustments
Roll shoulder, sway back, check pocket depth, check hem length and lastly check the dart point.

 Thanks to my niece for taking these pics of her Aunty wearing Chloe.

The littlest niece was making faces to make me laugh. It worked. They are smart girls.
Minerva Crafts has a huge range of fabric with dots of all shapes and colours. I used dots in the search field and I’m still looking through their huge range of dot fabrics, buttons, bows….

Fearless – 1960s shift

This a typical 60’s style and the instructions are for a short women with a small bust. But this is pattern making from scratch and I haven’t done this before – fearless.


So my aim was to ‘make this work’ for me. I can work in cms or inches so I worked in inches and that was ok. I do have a copy of a metric pattern making book but I’ll use that another time. When it comes to research, I do just enough research to get me into and through a project.
So you saw these fabrics that I intended to use. Then I spied a second-hand cafe curtain remnant that I bought from St Vinnies that was more Enid (60’s) appropriate. The only pattern matching I tried was from the waist line to the hem. I love the front bust dart that goes to the hem and the effect it had on the lacework.
Front view
Back v-neck view

The large lace design is prominent at centre front but is minimised along the dart that goes from the bust to the hem.

Fitting changes:
The dress was at least 2″ too wide – fixed.
The front bust dart was 2″ too low – fixed.
More fitting changes:
On the pattern, the side bust darts need a bit more (2cm) taken out. The shoulder seam also needs to be shortened because the dress looks like it has a cap sleeve, which I don’t mind but wasn’t in Enid’s original pattern.
I’ll have to wear this dress at Love Vintage in March to get some styling feedback. There are sure to be some people there who are taking part in 1940’s Sew for victory.
Thanks again TJ for passing Enid over to me.

Just one more – Butterick 6582

I just wanted to make this dress up because I had the fabric; the lace remnant; and the test dress worked. What I was curious about was how this dress would work in a medium weight fabric instead of georgette print.

I found that as tedious as hand sewing can be I loved spending the time handsewing the lace onto the dress. This took 5 hours to do but there was no deadline to meet and I had no other commitments ie, the housework for the weekend was finished. I even managed to do some weeding and watered the garden. It looks like we’ll need some rain this summer.

The fabric was a steal at Pitt Trading and the lace was a remnant from the ASG industry in June. I think this colour works without a tan too although Spring is in the air – in Queensland and not in Sydney today.

I don’t have an occassion to wear this dress but as the handwork was going to take time I wanted to have this in the wardrobe ready to wear for a special event than do a late night rush job when an occasion does pop up. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

As Sylvia gave me what was left on the roll, I have enough of this gold fabric to make a formal trench coat…

And:
Thank you all for your lovely comments about the outfits I’ve been making too.