Minerva make – Steampunk

Making basic work and weekend gear is what I do. But what if I decide to add a few Steampunk elements into my basic work wear? How would true Steampunk look on someone of my height?

Take a simple poly cotton fabric for a shirt and a wool blend check for a skirt. Sounds ordinary. Vicky picked the buttons again. She’s a Wiz at choosing the notions.

And then used a basic front button blouse and a simple A line skirt. Still sounds run-of-the-mill. Maybe the exposed metal zipper at the back might be a bit ‘out there’.

I would agree. Except for the detailing.


Throw in some pin tucks, a few ruffles and some metal buckles and you have a few Steampunk pieces.

The technical notes for this Equestrian tail coat blouse is here.

I’ve never been to a historical or Cos play event. But I can probably sneak through now.
The technical notes for the skirt are here.

I like the idea of using the blouse with black jeans on the weekend.

And the skirt (Beige/Black Check Polyester/Wool Blend Suiting Designer) will look great in the office in the Winter.
Especially if I make a Equestrian-influenced wool jacket like this or this or this.
Seriously, the possibility of no longer being a wall flower are endless.

Thank you Minerva Crafts for these fabrics. They’re lovely to wear and easy to sew with. 

Tech notes: Equestrian tail coat blouse

Here’s the Equestrian tail coat blouse that I wanted to create for my February Minerva make.

I decided to use a basic McCalls blouse pattern as the basis instead of finding the exact pattern.
So the test version above confirmed the fit and then I did a rough redraft of the neckline based on my line drawing.
Line drawings are not my forte but they help plan projects

I’ve folded the neckline to a v, then drafted new facings

There are no sleeves on the equestrian blouse, so bias made from the same polycotton fabric was used to finish the armholes.

These are the strips for the ruffle and pin tuck trims. The trim width was a ‘guestimate’.

Then I had to create the ruffle and pin tuck trim. 

The trim edging was roll-hemmed.

The trims took 3 hours to make. There was a lot of thinking and testing time involved.
The final hurdle was figuring out how/when to add these trims to the actual shirt. 

I’ve laid the trim over the test shirt above to get an idea of trim length required.


It’s all part of the fun:)

Above is the work in progress blouse. 

The toughest part wasn’t pinning the hem up for the hip detailing. The hardest decision was how to sew on the ruffle and pin tuck trim.


You’ll see the finished pieces later this week. 

Apologies to my dear IG peeps. You’ve already seen this blouse in the making. #Thursday!