70s/80s tracksuit for day 13

In the morning it’s a bit cooler in Sydney and I decided to use a really old pattern with a classic tracksuit pattern Simplicity 8887. Not sure if this pattern is a 70s or 80s pattern.

 If you add the braid edging you need 3m of the knitted braid trim for the jacket. I did without the braiding this time.

The green fleece remnant used here was a Spotlight $2 piece but there wasn’t enough for the sleeves. I had leftover fabric from a jumper kwik sew 1997 I made a couple of years ago. There’s still enough of the stripe fabric to make another hoodie.

I wanted kangaroo pockets so I drafted these up from scratch.

The open-ended zipper was a 3 for $1 zipper bought at The Remnant Warehouse.

Here’s how I wore this jacket in the morning to the gym in a pic taken by Bill, a die-hard workout mate who also wears a heart rate monitor. This jacket is going to get a real workout.

After work we went to a bike class. Mr V wore his Me-made Avocado hoodie. A nice Mum going to the gym took this pic for us.

I did manage to take a pic of what I wore to work before going to the gym. Kwik Sew 3378 top and Butterick 3597 skirt.

As soon as the weekend hits, I’ll do some decent photos of Fifth Avenue because it’s finished – flounce and all. I only had to finish the flounce but so many things have popped up since then.

Jeans progress

Kenneth King’s Jean-ius online course has been great to learn from and I haven’t gotten through the whole class yet. I would love to go to a live Kenneth King class one day, if I can manage book into a class and then flying across for it! The online course will do for now. I have already made these Jalie jeans but I joined the course to learn more about making jeans and getting the fit right. Below is a progress pic as I’m making these jeans again for the Best of patterns contest on PR.

The fabric has a fine pinstripe with a darkish brown face. I call this a ‘nothing’ colour. The topstitching thread is a bone-cream colour. The pockets are lined with the fabric I used on the first vintage halter dress I made this year.
The main change I made was on the back leg, at the crotch line. There were lines at the base of the butt that I thought I could eliminate. The lines not the butt.

Last night DH wanted to eat out, so I decided to get changed into another MMM knit dress. This is a top pattern (McCalls 8777) extended to dress length in 2008.

Today’s mug was given to me by a friend, when I was trying to settle into a new job. It has a mother duck saying to her ducklings ‘Make it look easy but underneath paddle like hell’. Inside the mug is ‘Keep on paddling’.

Today’s MMM’12 outfit is this grey top Butterick 5283. It’s a long sleeved layer that suits the office. I normally wear a layer underneath when it gets cold. Today I’ve got a short sleeve cotton tee underneath. The lined skirt is Butterick 3597. The military jacket is Vogue 7764. I’ve only reviewed this pattern in pink version.

summer skirts

Here’s the skirt story. This story is still about clearing out my fabric stash. We’ve also had a very hot week and it’s still in the 30’s tonight.

 

The skirt pattern is the leftover piece from the summer dress I made the for church part of the wedding last week. It’s my favourite Butterick 3597 and it’s not lined. The top is also a left over piece of the teal/green cardi M5978.

This skirt was a remnant piece from dotsnstripes.co.uk from a couple of years ago. I’ve used a Hessian trim to get the length to right spot so I can wear strap sandels with this skirt.

This skirt isn’t lined and I’ve eliminated the centre back seam to keep the bold pattern continous on both sides of the skirt. This is a stretch woven cotton.

I’ve tried to place the grey parts of the print on the skirt, but you definitely can’t ignore the browns.

The top I made a few years ago.

Duo skirt weekend


Here’s the black skirt (Butterick 3597) with a border edge hem.

I think this does it for me with the dark coloured SWAP. The only piece that didn’t really fit (wine coloured knot knit top)needed a partner. As you can see below it now has a dark cherry colour skirt to go with it.

I’ve already made a roll collar dress out of this fabric, so it’s now another a-line skirt.

The fabric had a weird weave fault in it, so I’ve placed it smack dab on the lower front hem. It’s my way of making something bad, good. This fabric is an upholstery rayon fabric that I bought for $2/mtr.