Jungle pants – Butterick 6837

I was amazed that I found yet another jungle remnant in the stash – a snake skin print.

I’ve used Butterick 6837 because these pants are light, flowy and great for humid, mozzie infested jungle conditions.
 Remember- it’s still Jungle January. Jungle on.

The waistband has a 32mm elastic and the seams are simply overlocked. I’ve made the small size and adjusted the back crotch curve for my ‘behind.‘ These pants have been excellent for air travel too.

MyHung fabrics had an interesting eyelet fabric and I decided to make this fabric into these pants too. The fabric is 90cm wide with a lovely edging on both sides of the fabric.

This time I trimmed back the inside seam to slim back the leg width without looking too out of proportion.

I’ve also lined them from the waist to the knees because the eyelets on this fabric are huge – nothing to see here🙂

Now to make a peplum top in a solid colour (no print) to wear with both of these pants.

I’m trying to edit back the jungle prints to avoid looking like Adriana from The Sopranos. Adriana was way taller and she had nails as long as any lioness.

Dilemma: What does a girl do when the jungle prints run out?

Derby Day Peony

With Spring racing in the air, this version would have been perfect for Derby Day – yesterday’s race has a wear black and white tradition. What do you think?

It’s a fairly well structured dress and can withstand being worn with heels or ballet flats (Colette Peony 1017). The hibiscus Peony version is also fully lined.

This version is fully lined in white poplin. And a jacket would help manage the changing weather on the day. I bought this fabric from the fabric store on Church St Parramatta for $9/m.

I got very excited when I added the bias trim on the eyelet fabric.

Then the issues was, how do you finish these seams.

I decided to pink them instead of using french seams because the eyelet stitching is very thick (I love this aspect of this fabric) so pinking helps keep the seams stable without added bulk.

So to add a bit more complexity, and skill development as we say at work, I’ve added an exposed zipper. Threads has an article for applying exposed zips but the layout of the article wasn’t easy to follow. I tried adding an invisible zip but the cut out eyelet bits along the centre back are at least 5cm long.


Left pic – iron fusing on right side with guide stitching:
Middle pic – pin and baste for first row of stitching near zipper teeth;

Right pic – trimmed underneath before final row of stitches at the side of the zipper tape.

Then I watched Gretchen’s exposed zip tutorial to see how an exposed zipper is sewn on. Wendy also had a video tutorial for more traditional craft projects and I’m guessing this topice is going to keep growing. Linda McGeHee shows lots of zipper ideas in a tute so you can then make add as as your own own and she is www.ghees.com. The exposed zipper was the perfect solution but I didn’t use contrast stitching. That would have been an embarrasing outcome.

Once I watched Gretchen tute I was able to insert the exposed zip without a practice run. Talk about taking a punt! Now to go back to the form guide to pick Tuesday’s winner. Lots of luck everyone.

Travel update – TBD but I’ll keep you updated.

Wow. Michelle Obama wore a similar outfit recently from the Miss Wu collection.