I can’t believe I was able to make this version of Butterick 5608 by the sea in time to MAGAM sewalong April Ahoy challenge. This Art Gallery Fabric is a remnant of fabric I used for Minerva 2 years ago for the Style Arc Mia Dress as a Minerva Brand Ambassador.
Magam Sewalong rules 2021 have been modified and to make sure you’re up to date with their monthly sewing challenges, make sure you follow Sue Stoney, Suzy Roberts of sewing in spain and Dawna Tierney of spoolriversewing.
MAGAM (make a garment a month) for you or for others
– Look out for the monthly theme, posted by Sue, Suzy and Dawna on the first of each month with a teaser the day before
– Garments only, no accessories
– Enter as many times as you like
– Combine with other challenges for extra fun
– Feel free to post your plans
– Post a photo and brief comment on your finished garment, worn if possible ideally before the end of the month…although…if you run out of time and post later, Sue, Suzy and Dawna won’t mind.
April Ahoy ideas are about new season and new possibilities:
– nautical style
– sew something to wear beside the seaside
– reinterpret a designer resort wear collection for stay at home wear
– give a shout out to a friend to sew with
– be a pirate and sew something different
As always, interpret creatively!
As I’ve already been wearing a dress using this fabric, I know if feels lovely and the fabric colours are still as vibrant as they were 2 years ago.
There are some darts on the back that are perfect for some sway back shaping. With this print, it’s very easy to add the darts and you can’t wreak the print placement.
In the photo above, you can see the round neckline is a nice distance below your collarbones so for me this is flattering and no closures are needed. The pattern doesn’t call for closures so it’s easy enough to make with just the fabric, thread and pattern. Great way to motivate the skills of new sewists.
By the way, the bag I’m holding is one I recently made recycling a hessian coffee bean bag. More on that adventure soon.
Butterick 5608 has been a top to dress success for me. Using a lovely viscose like this and a smashing print makes this a great dress to wear when you want to look and stay cool.
After working from home for a year now, I’m finally realising that relaxed style with some shape are worth making. This rayon challis is a stunning print and I know the fabric quality is really good. The first dress I made with fabric is soft on my skin and the print colours remain vibrant after 2 years.
This fabric is OEKO-TEX which makes me happy. This is my second dress made from this fabric that Minerva continues to stock. Thanks Minerva. I’m so pleased to be a Minerva Brand Ambassador.