Stormtrooper print really should be worn by kids but I’ve used this print for a dress for moi and a shirt for Mr V.
The dress is a New Look 6808 top that I’ve extended it to a maxi length and changed the neckline to a sharp V.
The shirt is a vintage mens pattern. It fitted Mr V without too much fuss. He can be high maintenance but this pattern wasn’t so this shirt was easy to sew. I still need to strong arm Mr V into taking a photo of him wearing his stormtrooper shirt.
The fabric is a Spotlight purchase.
I’ve made New Look 6808 a few times now.
The main thing I do is make sure I extend the top to be as wide as my hips are on the day I cut out the pattern.
Then I make sure I have a centre back split or side splits so I can walk in it. Just being practical. There have been times when I forgot to do this.
As for the neckline, I did a reality check on the v-neckline by
– measuring from the back of my neck to the point where I was happy for the neckline to end
– then measuring how far my collar points are
– on a post-it note, I drew these measures and checked the angles – too close/too far apart.
– I interfaced the dress neckline and drew an all-in-one facing and interfaced this.
– with a bit of drawing and lots of pinning, the neckline worked out.
The base of the V, is 5 stitches wide so I could turn the facing through and get a sharp ‘V’.
That’s it really.
The key way to line up this print at the seams is to pin the line under the Stormtroopers.
There’s a dress style that Kate Winslet wears in the Divergent movies that I’ve decided to use this top pattern for.
I have the fabric from Pitt Trading in the sewing queue now so I’m ready to tackle it later this month.
|This project has been a fun ride.|