Mum’s jacket – burda 7749 view A
Since winter began creeping into Sydney, I began working on a coat for Mum to wear to church in the winter. This week winter really hit so tonight, I’ve completed her coat and she loves it.
I’ve used polar fleece but it’s the thickest and softest quality that I could find – from the Fabric Remnant Warehouse. Lincraft and Spotlight have polar fleece but nothing as good as the Fabric Remnant Warehouse.
This is my first go at making a garment in polar fleece. This is the first time that I’ve made up this coat too.
The coat is fully lined with Sunsilky and the collar and centre front is interfaced with texture weft. I’ve used raglan sleeve shoulder pads and two large snaps at the front. Mum’s hands are not as nimble as they used to be so she should be able to close the jacket, with a bit of assistance.
The other feature that she loves is pockets to keep her hands warm.
I’ve really enjoyed working with polar fleece. The fabric behaved and stayed in place so I used very few pins during construction. This pattern took a while to cut out but I needed to make sure each piece was made to Mum’s measurements. She’s not picky but she doesn’t edit what she thinks, so I did take longer than normal to plan each piece.
The sleeves are very wide, so I’ve tapered the sleeves in from the wrist to the elbow. The coat still needs to be wide enough for Mum to wear this over her clothes. The main adjustments were shortening the coat and sleeve lengths. The rest was the pattern was the same.
This pattern has separate front and back pieces for the lining. I almost missed this when I was cutting out the coat. I did follow the instructions at the beginning but they weren’t hard to follow. The diagrams were easy to follow.
This was a fun coat to sew. I did some preliminary sewing last night after work for a couple of hours. I did the rest of the coat this evening while DH watched rugby and made dinner.