At work

MMM13 days 14-16 were work days and it’s cooler here so the jackets come out to play.

Jeanne and Megan took these photos for me.

Day 14:
Me-made Jacket made a long time ago and was too long so I cut it shorter.
Me-made Shirt: butterick 4985.
Me-made Skirt Aline skirt not blogged. The bias trim was added to hide the overlocking on the hem – doh.

Day 15 the head cold starts:
Me-made Jacket McCalls 4596.
Me-madeTop: Vogue 2980. I adjusted this top for fit last year.
Me-madeTrousers Burda 7746 lined trousers. They make me feel snuggly.

Day 16 persistant head cold:
Me-madeJacket Vogue 7764 This jacket had a lot of detailing.
Me-madeTop: Kwik Sew 2683 in grey not blogged.
Me-madeTrousers McCalls 2874 grey trousers.

Day 16 pic is my way of saying Bonjour to Vero. Vero launched her online bag patterns Sacotin today and I helped her with the English translations. She’s based in a small village in France and we had fun liaising online and I learnt a funny lesson to not rely on online translations. I was the one ‘Lost in translation’. Vero has a great sense of humour.

Hawaii 5-0

This morning it was a bit too cool not to wear a jacket but for the purposes of showing the ruching on this top, I’ll show you the jacket another time. The jacket needs to be taken in so it’s on my ‘to-alter’ list in between my new current winter projects.

This morning’s mug is from an ABC Store in Hawaii. I bought the first mug 7 years ago but last year a colleague was visiting the islands and she bought me two more mugs and just recently a senior colleague had the exact same mug on his desk. I know ‘small things…”.

The top is Butterick 5562 and I’ve used this fabric on the bits and pieces top last week.
The ruching was done using Seams great but I would now use skinny elastic for the ruchng for more wearing movement.
The pants McCalls 2874, are a wool blend and they are very scratchy so I’m going to practice lining these pants because Renata, Sharon and Wendy swear by them. I’m now very convinced.
I just completed part of my Jalie Jeans. The back pockets and front pockets are done. Tomorrow I’ll tackle the front zip. Talk soon…

Pants #3 – McCall’s 2874

The green pants are working well but they were made from stretch woven. This time I attempted navy woven pants so the challenges were definitely about getting the fit right.

This pattern is as plain as they come but it’s always about the pants fit for me.
The other challenge was I ran out of fabric so I made do with a voile fabric to finish off the pockets.
The front fit worked as it did on the green pants.
Warning about the pic below. 
The back on the other hand needed lots of help and the pic show you the finished results.
I took the fullness out of the pattern leg and there was still fullness at the back legs. The VPL was embarrasing so I refitted the back pockets for more room. I’ve finished the pants with belt carriers because I just wanted these pants finished without a glaring butt. I don’t like UFOs so I’ve tried to make this work.
I also made up this purple top McCalls 8777 with a remnant piece from of dry dry knit from my stash.  PS, I won’t be pulling on the pockets again…

Pants #2 – McCalls 2874

Happy 4th of July to you all. Eat a hot dog for me please:) Now the days are freezing and I have started working on pants with the aim of making jeans (baby steps). The initial adjustments I make before cutting the fabric are:

  • sway back adjustment
  • lower centre front waist
  • back ‘butt’ curve (depending on fit)
  • Length – 92 cm or 36 inch outer leg length

I always check the pattern width markings so that I know how much ease I’ll need, depending on the fabric. The previous pants were a loose weave and had some drape so that meant the pants would be closer to my body ie less ease. The jumper is McCalls 8777 made with left over merino wool knit.

This fabric is a stretch woven and it has lots of stretch, so again, the pants won’t need much ease. I’ve stuck with green because that’s the thread colour on my sewing machine and overlocker. I also figured, I may as well build a couple of green pieces that I can wear for now. I’m not sewing for a future event, just a couple of pieces to wear now that it’s cold. I’ll be able to take these pieces with me to NZ in September/October when we take a few short trips because of the rugby. Rugby is in DH’s blood, so these pieces might come with me. I can always add black when we’re at the games.

I’ve added a fly front panel behind the zipper.
The back was bulky so I’ve taken more fabric from the back leg, caused by this heavy/medium weight fabric. It’s stiff and less ease will help.

I’ve taken more fullness out of the side seams, particularly the back leg pieces and cut this pant pattern out in a navy woven fabric that isn’t as heavy. More news about this later.