OWOP – Butterick 5044

A couple of years ago we spent a week in Vanuatu. While in Port Vila, I found a few poly and rayon prints so I supported the local economy and I decided to trial these pants for Singapore.

Last time I made these pants in navy ripstop for my previous size. Now I used small and the pants need to be lengthened (6cm). So I added quilt binding from my stash to get the hem right and used the edging foot to get the stitching line in the right place. I do like the binding finish. Is that a good thing?

I’ve used 32mm/1 1/4 ” wide elastic in the waistband and coverstitched the waist band casing. Again, I need to add more to the casing (6cm) so that easily folds over. Printed pants like these are strictly weekend wear.

After working with Angie Zimmerman, I adjusted this pattern and added 1.5cm to the total width of the pants pattern. The front and back leg are in the one pattern. The back crotch curve is 2cm deeper and the front crotch curve is also 1cm deeper.
The additional room is added right down the middle of this pattern piece.

Then I made two more versions for the ‘one week, one pattern‘ challenge before we had our break.

Grey linen shorts
Blue cotton pants

The grey shorts became shorts because I didn’t have enough fabric for pants. I’ll get some more of this fabric from the Remnant Warehouse next month. It’s a lovely linen that is already crushed so how’s that for weekend linen pants. The blue embroidered fabric is pure cotton so it’s bound to crush but they’re for the weekend. Yay.

Here are the first two days of my OPOW attempt in Singapore with the grey shorts.

On the Singapore Flyer






Just off the bus ready to explore Chinatown.

We’re now back home so I’ve worn the blue embroidered pair for hanging out near the kitchen while DH cooks after work. He made a lovely ravioli and napolitana sauce after our afternoon ride.

Today I was feeling more normal so I put on the green printed pants and chilled out on the stairs before putting some dinner together. Bootcamp class this morning was a killer so DH marinated chicken in tandoori so I only needed to get some vegies organised. No dahl this time.

More later.

Green spring – B4789

It’s still cold here (7 degree C mornings) but I love working with green fabric so here’s the story about this dress. This fabric was a remnant piece that I bought from Pitt Trading last year at $2 per metre. I bought some more fabric from Pitt Trading last week but that’s a bunch of stories in the making. This fabric has two-way stretch and it has a huge print so I tried to keep the yellow colours away from my face.

The front has a knot just below the bust, and it’s easy to make up, but I got it wrong, even after reading the reviews on PR. However, I was able to save fabric and the error is tied up in the knot.

I’ve shown you the front and back so you can see where the print placement is on this dress. I love the v-neck on the front and back. The hem could come up, so I’ll do this on the next version. I’ve used seams great on the shoulder seams and twin needle on the neckline finish. The fabric is so dark you can’t see the black thread I’ve used throughout the dress.
I’m really loving green. This pattern also has pants but I can’t see myself making these up while I’m developing woven pants that fit.

I’ve since finished a pink UFO that I’ll post up soon. I’m just planning what I should make to go with it. Decision time:)