That 60s feel

This dress just had to happen again. New Look 6000 using a chambray flower print from Minerva Crafts. I’ve been working my way through some remnants, as you can see.

There are always parts of the construction process that spur me on, like getting the sleeves made.

Once I get to the invisible zipper stage, I know the dress is coming along nicely. Until I have to try the dress on. This is the perfect stage to adjust the fit.

Can you see the piping along the neckline. I still had enough piping for this dress.


The piping acts like a necklace. 
This is the same piping I used on the original Deer and Doe Belladone dress I made for September. The fabric colours of this fabric is the same on the Minerva Crafts website.

This version is work-worthy.

The sleeve length also help with battle with aircon that gets very cold during the day.
There’s much less stress sewing a dress from a pretty remnant that you know works.
Follow

A little faux coat

My littlest niece (LN) had her birthday (see desserts) and she chose a white faux fur for her jacket. I know that white fur will get dirty but as I said to her Mum when she smiled at LN’s fur choice, “We can always dye it later.” 

I’ve been following 21 wale because she sews great gear for very young growing family so I thought that sewing for this 8 year old was doable.

Both LN and her Mum picked a princess-seamed, zip-front jacket with zipper welt pockets from Young Image Magazine Autumn/Winter 2012/2013. LN wanted it hip length. This jacket will be hip length within 12 months.

This test version is a floral denim that had been sitting in my stash. Why test the pattern? I wanted to check the construction before I cut into the fur.

Can you see the coat handle on the inside collar?
So I used a open-ended zipper on the fur version once I knew the denim test version worked.

I decided to sew the zipper in the front before sewing in the sleeves because I didn’t want the front opening to be wonky or have to battle with the full coat when sewing in the front zip.

 Once the zipper was sewn in I attached the lining and then flat sewed in the sleeves, finished the side seams and hemmed the sleeves and jacket.

Both jackets have a coat handle to hang these coats anywhere.

I’ve used white satin binding for the welt pockets and at the edge of the collar.
The heart print lining shows when you roll up the sleeves. LN was quick to point out ‘no one will see the lining’ – observant.

I’ve whitened the pic below so you can see the true colours of the fur and how the fur lines up.

LN loves her fur version and she made taking these photos a challenge. LN-1: Aunty-0. 
She didn’t like the denim jacket so it now belongs to one of her little friends.