Mad Macaron – Colette 1001

Rhinestones and telephones has been hosting a Colette sewalong on her blog. I recieved this pattern as a gift of appreciation and I really appreciated the opportunity to make this up with other fellow Macaron sewers.

These are the pieces I had planned to use. The print is on the yoke and sleeves. The burgundy is on the bodice, midriff and skirt pieces.

I’ve used organza to line the sleeves so the print remains defined and the colours aren’t washed out.

The sleeves lined with organza sit nicely and they didn’t take too much work to set them into the bodice. Whether you use 1 or 2 rows of gathering stitches, they still sit nicely.

Macaron bloopers:
– The pockets didn’t turn out right. I’ll have to have another go at these on the next version. Note to self: read the notes and pay more attention.
– One of the sleeves was a bit puffy. That’s because I didn’t clip it where the hem is inverted.
– When I attached the skirt to the bodice, I managed to sew the front skirt to the back bodice. I thought the pleats were a bit funny… At least the skirt was sewn in at the waist and not at the hem. I’ve done that before.
– The front waistband is a bit twisted. I’ll be ironing on interfacing to the waistband to keep it looking firm.
– The skirt length needs to go above the knees.
Below is my pattern pose.
All in all, this dress worked. And the back pleats have been modified so I don’t have volume where it’s not needed. The outer back pleats are wider than the centre back pleats.
IMHO:
I can see why Colette patterns are so popular. There are lots of good instructions for new sewers. The order of sewing this dress are a bit out of sequence IMHO. I expected to work on the front bodice in total and then the back bodice but the midriff sequence is after sewing the yokes. This isn’t a biggy or a deal breaker. It’s just a sequencing thing that’s different to what I’m used to.

Pattern testing weekend

Last Friday to Sunday I was at a sewing retreat with 3 of my sewing buddies and 30 other sewers at Stanwell Tops. Below we were being blown away when we went to the beach for a break on the Saturday.

In the lead up I decided to use this time to test dress patterns for myself. I prepared 5 and aimed to get 1 dress tested. By Sunday, I managed to test 3 dresses with the help of my sewing buddies with a bit of finishing work to do ie seam finishing, hems and lots of hand sewing.

Vogue 1208 in a dark print and lined with Sunsilky lining

.

Vogue 1271 in a blue purple remnant with Sunsilky lining.


Butterick 6582 in a tulip print chiffon and orange bemsilky lining.

Vogue 8280 in dark teal stretch woven and remnant lining.

Colette Macaron 1001 in deep maroon and maroon/black print georgette.

The first three are complete and the last 2 are being tested this week. I’ll post up the finished dresses as soon as I can get proper pics done.
In the meantime I received some buttons from lotsofbuttons.com. Sharon contacted me with a $10 voucher so I used the voucher and spent more $ on a range of their buttons. I love the packaging and there are a few projects I have these earmarked for. Thank you Sharon.