Rachel put out a dress test call for her free Brasilia dress pdf, due for launch at Christmas. Rachel is currently hosting a Dakota sewalong which has a great discount from Minerva Crafts, if you’re interested in joining Rachel.
I decided my Brasilia would be my make a garment a month piece.
I checked the pattern dimension for my shape as it comes in 1 size only and I did a muslin in calico to check the dimensions.
The back view shows the results of the sway back adjustment.
You can also see the top of the body was long so I took the fullness out – 3cm.
The front bust darts were too long for me so I shortened them.
Again I took 3cm out of the top of the body at the front.
The armholes were then in the right spot. Not too high and not too low.
And I opened the waist to hip at the side seams. I now have a great fitting woven pattern.
Brasilia is fitted and designed for stretch wovens. I used a stretch woven remnant from Pitt Trading (that stash still exists) to make my first version.
This all-over print is very forgiving and didn’t need to be matched. Well, how could you, really. When I first tried it on, it was big and baggy so I took out the seam allowance and it worked perfectly.
And I managed to finish Brasilia in time for a quiet night out.
We went to Salt n Pepa at the State Theatre and we had a ball – sore feet and temporary deafness are a good indicator of a great night out.
The State Theatre is a heritage building and this theatre hosted hip hop really, really well.
You can see the dress print hides the internal darts and side panel features. They do sit in the right spot for me.
I used binding for the neckline and armhole finishes. By the way, DH is taking part in Movember. You can sponsor him here.
Thank you Rachel for developing this dress. It was the perfect dress for a night of non-stop dancing.