Winter pieces

Today we spent the day in the heat with family and friends because it’s going to be my last summer blast for a while.
Our weather has been humid so these new pieces were made with the intention of having some warm layers for the US trip. I’m not wearing any of these pieces because we’ve just had  a hot/humid weekend (33C). These are my winter colour pieces that will be staples with dark jeans.
This green top is the merino wool knit. It’s bulky enough to be an outer layer.

What you’ll notice is the centre front gaps forward. My solution was to make this fit with gather stitches. Below is the effect the additional gathering stitches had on this top.  I used Kwik sew 3617 view A but then did the gathers because view B has ruching neckline. Now for the purple top story…

Because view B has ruching, I decided to make view A, but with the ruching on View B. I used the same fabric length but I had to leave one seam unfinished so I could get the elastic in the gathers to sit correctly on my shoulders.

The skirt is a leftover piece of cord that I bought from dotsnstripes.co.uk. The bias binding was store bought. The reason for the front split was because I didn’t have enough fabric to get the front and back cut from one piece but there was some fabric wide enough for part of the front. That’s why there’s a front leg split. Now to get boots to match. I hope there are some left in the stores when we get to the US.

Kwik Sew 2111

I’ve had a piece of black ribbing fabric that I first bought from emmaonesock.com at least four years ago. I decided to use this to trial an old kwik sew pattern that I was given ages ago. I have some green merino wool knit that I want to make up, so I thought I would test out this pattern with the black rib knit. Thankfully my sewing buddies were around yesterday and they saw how oversized this pattern was and watched my slice out the bulk from every area except the neckline.

 
 
All I really wanted was a basic outer wool knit layer with a zipper neckline. From the amount of altering/sashing I did with the scissors yesterday, this pattern is going to charity, or will be used for fleece fabric. The fleece idea was Alison’s suggestion.

 
Today I spent the morning unpicking and added a rib/elastic hem and rib hemmed sleeves. The overlocker was handy getting this bit of sewing done. I also redid the neckline finish so the edges are now neatly finished. I also interfaced the collar for a cleaner finish. Now I’ll give this top a wash and hopefully it will shrink a bit. It will not be worn out of the house – promise.

The merino knit has a lot less give so I have to rethink this a bit more and choose a better pattern. What I now know is how to make this top up with an invisible zipper.