Dragonscale

The ‘thing’ with fantasy shows is the costume department use loads of texture techniques to create a mood for each character. 

Dragonscale embellishments are used in Game of Thrones to create Daenerys Targerean or Khaleesi’s regalness as she becomes a queen while being the mother of dragons. So that’s where I headed for my round 2 ‘make your own fabric’ challenge in PR sewing bee.

I was fearful of making something that would look ‘undercooked’, however online costumers are generous in sharing their costume techniques. 

This is the real deal from Michele Carragher’s website.

Smocking
Smocking is something I’ve enjoyed dabbling in. North American smocking is used to create some of the embellishments for Khaleesi’s costumes and I saw one of her costumes up close at the Game of Thrones exhibit in Belfast last year. The same technique is used on her later costumes too.

The smocking template is fairly simple to mark up on fabric and there are lots of YouTube demos to learn from.

Setting up the stitching lines on the fashion fabric.

After creating a small sample in front of the telly, I realised this smocking gig is worthwhile doing.

Test smocking piece


The effect of the triangle stitches

The cotton under layer fabric was sewn as per the pattern with the darts sewn. Then the smocked piece was over laid on it. 

The bodice then was sewing with rows of machine honey comb stitching using three different colour threads.
Here’s how the bodice came out with additional fabric sewn onto the shoulder pieces. The bronze sequins are also provide more ‘scale’.
The final bodice with sequin scales and pieces of the bronze trouser fabric for effect.

The local fabric store had this royal blue fabric I needed for this piece and I had plenty of stray threads in my stash to machine sew lots of scales and quilting lines on each panel piece.

Skirt scale layering

This is where I was checking how the front skirt would work with embellishment.

The costume has quilt lines that look very military. But then another version has a honeycomb mesh fabric on it so I had to decide if it was work adding dragon scale mesh to the skirt.

The left is a lighter weight blue mesh. The right is a larger purple mesh fabric.

I ended up using the blue mesh fabric on the skirt over the quilting lines and fabric piecing.

The full outfit.
On the actual outfit, there’s a gorgeous open back to it. 
I went for the bra friendly version – small.

Vogue 8280
Vogue 8280 was my Khaleesi costume basis and initially cut the lining using a scale like Ikea fabric. 

I cut out the pieces from this fabric first.


This fashion fabric became the outside and lining for the costume.

This costume is quite heavy and fits firmly.

By texturing each piece of fabric, one at a time and checking the photos of the original work online, I felt a whole lot more confidence in creating the textures without feeling all this work would be wasted. I think I spent 12 hours on this project. 

The mother of dragons has done well to survive through to series 5, so why not make one simple Khaleesi outfit for myself. 

With trousers.
Just the dress.

The whole box and dice.
And that’s my fantasy piece for now…



Rugby worthy

Winter means going to rugby matches and wearing a decent coat is a must hence McCalls 6657 using a wool plaid from Minerva Crafts UK. I’ve paired this coat with my Minerva jeans Vogue 8774.

Here’s how this coat looked with no metal clasps but they arrived in the mail just this week!
Here’s how this coat now looks with the metal clasps. Thank you dear postal service for such a quick delivery. I’m still toying with the clasp placement but they are a perfect match.
Minerva Crafts has a great range metals clasps to choose from.

I’m still very much ‘Game of Thrones’ influenced at the moment – hence the hardware closure.

This fabric kept grabbing my attention when I visited Minerva Crafts in June. It’s got the colours I wear but plaid/checks. I’ve never used this type of plaid before – until now.
It’s lovely in real life.


McCalls 6657 is made for large checks and plaids so I took a chance and made View C with no test version. I know – daring right?

McCalls gives you the dimensions on the pattern pieces for bust, waist and hips. I made Extra small at the bust and waist and used Small for the hips. 

The adjustments:

Side seam pocket view with double belt loops
  • Roll shoulder adjustment
  • Raised the pocket by 2.5cm
  • Decreased the pocket bag depth by 2cm
  • Eliminated the centre back seam to cater for fabric lines
  • Added facing trim and coat hook trim
  • Added double belt loops on the side seams to keep the belt secure
  • Added lining

All the tech notes are here.

    I’m still in awe as the lines follow across the back and collar.


    McCalls 6657 is an unlined jacket so you only need to purchase the fabric and a few packs of binding from Minerva Crafts. This pattern has been in my pattern stash for ages, staring at me.


    While trawling through the fabrics with Sam  and the Minerva bloggers at Minerva in June, I didn’t have any pattern in mind when I ordered this fabric so I took a punt to get the fabric, lining and metal clasps. 


    We worked out that I’d need my coat length, sleeve length and 30cm for a collar and pockets. I had just enough to get every piece I needed. 

    The metal clasps are hand sewn on. I’ve been resewing them a few times so the fit is right without the closure looking tight or falling open because they’re too close.

    Also wearing Vogue 8774 jeans and CJ patterns cowl tunic
    I’m so excited because this coat worked first time! #cheesygrin

    I think I’m ready to wear a few more layers underneath this coat when head off to the rugby. We have a weekend in the ‘Outback’ soon so this coat is going to be worn a lot this winter.


    Thank you again Minerva Crafts for having such lovely fabrics and notions.