Papercut patterns has a cute swimsuit style – Soma – that has a few cool swimsuit variation including the bikini style I’ve just made using Pitt Trading fabric – Turkish delight print.
This variation doesn’t need too many notions.
I’ve used two fashion fabrics, lining fabric, cups and fold over elastic.
Without the straps, it’s still a lovely tanning suit.
Sewing fold over elastic was a nice design idea to finish off this bikini.
I usually use swimsuit elastic to finish the edges of swimsuits.
After trying on the bottoms, I’ll be raising the height of the side leg.
I’ll also be lowering the front waistline because it’s too high for my height.
The other adjustment I’ll be making is to raise the base of the top’s hem. I’ll be taking 2.5cm off the front hem.
Other than those small adjustments, this pattern is good to go.
I’m really pleased some of you loved Vogue 1407. The pattern has lining pieces with the darts included so I had a ‘what if?’ moment. Could I use the lining pieces for a simple ponte dress? Mmm.
Then I grabbed another Tessuti ponte remnant and tested the lining pieces to see what would result?
I’ve sewn in a zipper and used black fold over elastic to finish the neckline and arms.
This unlined ponte dress worked.
So while the pattern has a distinct dress style to it, I’ve managed to make two dress types from the one pattern.
Every Summer there’s usually a beach picnic and I find it a hassle to keep changing from picnic clothes to swimwear. These Jalie swimshorts (3351) suit my needs for both situations.
|A view of the swim shorts with built in swim bottoms
|Jalie have used their cool side pockets (similar to their skort pattern) and this clever pattern provides built in swimwear bottoms too. You can add these bottoms in or leave them out. I’ve added these in!
I did a test version of these swimshorts and found I only needed to add 2cm to the centre back seams of the shorts and swimwear bottoms. That’s it.
I road tested the first version at a spin class and they passed. I didn’t feel less dressed than when I usually wear tights. The gym fashion police were silent too 🙂
|Side view of swim shorts with blue contrast.
The Jalie elastic measurements were spot on. They usually are.
So by the time I made my dyesplosion version, it took me 2 hours ‘tops’ to make my new dyesplosion swimshorts. This time I used a blue panel under the pocket piece for interest. I used this blue fabric for the swim bottoms too.
Racer back tops give my shoulders a lot of relief and this Jalie pattern (3247) offers 3 crop top versions. Oh and two basic shorts version to boot!
|Front view of this new swim set
|This time I didn’t test this pattern. I simply went ahead and made view C with the double crisscross straps. I knew the Funkifabrics lining was going to hold me in nicely so the only adjustment I needed to make was with the strap lengths.
The fabric has really good recovery.
Ok, so I placed the large dyesplosion on one side on the front piece. That was easy enough to do.
|Inside look at the top
View B was my next choice because again, the only real adjustment would be the halter length. I was happy with the top length on View C.
With Summer on our heels, here are some local Jalie stockists:A Little Extra With Ronwarb (eBay store)
For Kiwi readers:
About the fabrics
Funki Fabrics are a polyester print base and they are also:
- Ulta chlorine resistant
- Pilling resistant
- Shape retention
- Two way stretch
- UV protective
If you’re seriously considering sewing your own activewear, read Susan’s activewear post that she wrote earlier this year. Her sewing industry knowledge is priceless.
On Saturday while my sewing buddies were over, I took out my swap pieces and asked for their opinion on how my SWAP plan was going. The main comment I got was the china print skirt only needed a black knit top.
At the January Pitt Trading sale, I bought this black poly knit as a ‘just in case’ piece.
Here’s how it worked out.
I made sure my face was taken out of this shot because I was really pooped last night when DH took this pic.
Tech note: Sway back, full bust adjustment, neckline gaposis, shortened shoulder length, shortened sleeve, FOE.
Swap tally – The next piece is a basic black skirt (fully lined, zipper, no waistband) that’s 1/3 of the way through. I just realised that this will be the final piece.
I’ll go back to the purple pieces once the skirt is done so I can but the black out of my sight, just for now.
As you can see, I’m taking a colour break.
This was the first top I made today. There’s no science in the pattern placement and the neckling on the pattern was tight around my neck, so I’ve dropped it a bit.
When I sewed on the FOE on the neckline, that’s when I had used the one step process with a ‘few tears’ when I had to resew the FOE on the back neckline.
This pattern has my usual adjustments. I got this knit last month when Pitt Trading had their 50% off sale.
By the way, this is a really comfortable top to wear to work with my purple skirt. My work mates have been very supportive as they usually see me in greys and blacks around the office..