We spent 6 great days in Vanuatu and chilled out, escaping a week of winter cold.
The nice thing was I got to just sit and read, a pleasure I don’t get at home. We did snorkel around a couple of reefs, kiyaked and relaxed just a bit. I did buy a few metres of fabrics in great dark summer prints so they are now maturing in my fabric stash.
These pants Butterick 5044 were finished in time for our trip. I am mozzie chocolate so I needed pants to avoid being eaten at night. The good thing was mozzies were not an issue. They usually are in tropical countries, so I was one happy tourist.
I did a slight adjustment by raising lowering the front waistline and raised the centre back waist line. I also slivered the pants width at the ankles. The pants width seemed overwhelming so I had to trim the width down. I also added a small vent at the ankles but you can’t really tell from these pics.
Since coming home I’ve been working on the anorak McCalls 5635 and today I finished it, with advice from my sewing buddies. Alison gave me a lesson applying a couple of long prong snaps from the Snap source, on the sleeve hems.
I combined views B and C, so I have the collar and hoodie for a challenge. You can also see that I used a chunky plastic zip and cord. I hand stitched the zipper in before machining it in, so that it wouldn’t slide around, if I just used pins.
I also used satin bias on the waist for the cord. I cut this as a size 11, so I cut between size 10 and 12. All seams are overlocked. I now need some beads for the cord ends. I’ll use fraycheck to keep the cord ends from unravelling.
By the way, I won’t be wearing the matching pants and jacket unless I want to upset the fashion police. My laptop was fixed today so there will be more posts, more often.
These were taken on our only boat trip at Vanuatu. The boardies were good while walking on Tranquility Island and checking out the turtle sanctuary.
The swimmers did well when were snorkelling.
Yes – no hairdryer.
My beach wardrobe is still progressing thanks to the Queens B’day weekend. McCalls 5633 is another unused pattern that I tackled to make boardshorts.
I had a quick squiz at those who had made these before and low and behold Sue had shared her disappoinment with this pattern. Thanks for sharing your experiences Sue. You made me do a bit more planning.
This pattern is really high at the front and I took off 1cm from the centre front so I added a black ‘click together’ belt with black tape. The black tape is the sort of tape you find on backpacks, so this won’t be affected by saltwater.
I kind of misjudged the room I needed for my rear I resewed the back seam. There’s a dart at the back and I added this in to get a better fit.
Every seam edge is overlocked. The belt carriers and waistline are the biggest bugbears of this pattern. I would have preferred to add a waistband, and I’ll do this next time. I’ve also skipped the cuffs. The front zipper is a chunky plastic navy zip that was in my stash too.
I haven’t shortened the rashie, I’ve just rolled it under so you can see how the waistline fits.
When I tried to prewash the fabric, the water just beaded on it, so I’m sure it will be good when I’m in the surf.