Plaid puzzle+MMM12 day 5

This new pair of DH’s pjs pants was made using Simplicity 2503. He suited the medium size better than I did.

The fly front is a copy of a Peter Alexander pair he has.
The fly front button opening is covered so you can’t see the buttonhole and button when worn.

I did have a lovely blue and white silky ribbon to use for the waist cord but I decided (with DH’s approval) to use a plainer waistband cord. He was stoked with this choice.

I cut each leg piece separately so I could get the stripes to match. The pocket on the other hand matches across the body only, as you can plainly see.
The seams are overlocked and the hems have a Coverpro 3-thread finish.
DH is again a happy customer.

And here are today’s MMM’12 pics.
Today a few of us were at the Alexandria ASG sewing session so Sharon and I did a joint MMM’12 photo shoot, courtesy of Alison.

The top is made from the left over fabric from the 5-piece column dress that I made last week in green. I have completed blue/black stripe version made of this fabric.
The jeans are Jalie 2908 made from fabric I bought at The Remnant Warehouse 2 years ago (3m for $5). Nicole who works at the store, remembered this fabric when she saw what I was wearing. 

Make sure you duck over to Sharon’s page to check out her MMM’12 outfits.
So we meet here the first Saturday each month and these sessions are the ones I most look forward to because after sewing on my own, we have ongoing round-table discussions about ‘serious’ sewing issues all day.  

Owen (on the left) who works here has a wonderful habit of bringing a bolt of fabric to tempt the weaker ones in our group to buy fabric. There’s not much you can do in these situations. By the way, Alison (on the right) is also wearing a Made-Me-May top today and the fabric was purchased from Pitt Trading (is that right Alison?).

Minoru jacket done

Ta dah!

Armoweft, seam tape, topstitching, inserted zippers, binding finishes, inside pockets, flat felled seam, single welt pocket, binding machine, french seams on  chiffon, gathers, elastic casing waist, elastic sleeve cuff, embroidered edge hood, inbuilt jacket hanging loop, more reinforcing.

I can finally stop thinking about each construction step. It’s been doing my head in trying to use the right techniques to make this jacket work the way it was designed using the fabric I chose.

I was originally going to cut the size 6 but I chose the size 8 because I’ll be wearing a couple of layers under this jacket in the winter.
Yep. I’m to blame for this monster that’s now my favourite weekend jacket. As you can see, I’ve pulled the jacket to show there’s plenty of caboose room. 
  The hood in the jacket keeps the collar up, so there no interfacing needed. 

I learnt lots about:
– self-made binding thanks to my Christmas present from sewing santa, and how to use binding
– how to use zippers and where to source them online (zipperstop).
– single welt pockets and how to unpick and sew them
– how to adjust a raglan sleeve
– measuring before your cut (resewing outside pockets using a 6″/15cm zip not a 4″/10cm zip).
Now I’m wondering what about putting a hidden zip pocket on the lower or upper sleeve. Just joking.

Thanks to Tasia for having a sewalong otherwise I would never have pushed myself to make this jacket. My on the ground sewing buddies Alison, Sharon and Anne were already sorting out their notions and colours before I realised the sewalong was on. This project and the jeans contest kept me in contact with my sewing buddies here and online, while I was working away from home last month, and that really kept me sane. Angie Zimmerman was wonderful in sorting out the fit issues along the way, as she always does.
I can now move onto other projects:))
Have a look at this Minoru jacket roundup by Noile.