I’m being impulsive and adjusting my basic block patterns for the next two Outlander dresses.
|These are my no dart blocks|
|Drafting class notes from the community college course|
As soon as the weather cools down I’ll be making trousers again so I really have to get these dresses out of my system.
One of my makes has a contrasting piece that runs from the bodice to the skirt, hence I’ve been redrafting the bodice and developed it to suit.
|First test bodice using polycotton non-stretch fabric|
Once I was happy with the dimensions of this bodice it was simple to do the same treatment to the skirt, after I drafted out the skirt darts. You’ll see this dress next week. Promise.
Then the final make is a corset and skirt combo. This time I decided to adjust a similar styled vest and convert it to a corset. I just couldn’t find the right corset and decided to grab a Simplicity costume pattern as the base.
|Original vest tested for size|
This pattern has the boning placement on the side bodice pieces so I’m using polyester boning as corset making isn’t my forte, but I wanted to give this garment a go.
|Practicing with polyester boning. Will soon try using steel boning as a comparison.|
This time I decided to treat the skirt fabric for a long line skirt to see if it works on my shape and height. On each test version I’m using polycotton fabric with no stretch.
I don’t know as yet if any of these design ideas will work but I’m having a ball trying.
So I’m hoping that by the time I get these two dresses finished, the second part of Series 1 will be on tv and I can sit back and enjoy the costumes again.