The organisers of the Rhodes Sewing Guild group were given a donation by Canada Bay Council. The community hall that Rhodes uses is owned by the council so as a thank you, yesterday was a charity sewing day for the Canada Bay community.
As you can see below, I’ve taken some of the fullness out of the neck line, but there was still some fullness under the bust.
These changes are now going to be included in the pattern. I figure that the silver thread make this fabric sit up more that cotton/silk fabric would do. It’s a really light piece of fabric, but I think the metallic thread makes any bulk stand up instead of fall gracefully. I’ve got a black piece of this fabric that I’ll use for the dress with sleeves version.
BTW, I’m not going to do the mini wardrobe. I’m going to focus on working on new patterns for the next few months.
As you can see, I think my dark side swap is done.
As you can see, I kind of went all over the place. I’ve covered option 1. I’ve matched at least one print on these skirts and tops. I’ve used embroidered fabric from my stash and included some embroidery on the sleeves of my black wrap top (far right). This top also has a trim that I’ve used as the button enclosure.
The additional belt is used on the spot top. My aim was to get some work clothes that would be comfortable. I’ve worn most of these to work now.
The two garments above were ones that I made at the beginning of this SWAP but forgot about.
Technical stuff (or the changes I always make):
- Sway back adjustment (2.5 cm)
- roll shoulder adjustment (2 cm)
- full bust adjustment (C)
- full derrier adjustment (up to 3cm)
- neckline gaposis (2cm)
- armhole gaposis for sleeveless garments (2cm)
- lowered waistline (2 cm)
Types of garments I wear to work:
- a line skirt
- knot tops
- wrap tops
- cross over tops
- open neck polo tops
- fitted dresses
I have one more item to make – something with an interesting closure – for closure on this SWAP. I’m so over black….
This is just my way of assessing what I’ve made so far.
-blue/purple knit tee
-blue/purple crossover knit top
-black cotton wrap top with puffy sleeves
-upside/down shirred top
-black cross over knit top
-black a-line skirt with border trim
-dark cherry a-line skirt with weave fault.
I’m over black so now onto colour.
Here’s my toile and as you can tell, it needs a couple of buttons on the waistband as well as a hook at the cross over point.
- Lowered the waist line by 5cm
- Did a full bust adjustment and then dropped the bust point on the fabric by 2.5cm (gravity)
- Took out 4cm from the centre back, as you can see below.
- Slivered out 2cm from the back sleeve hem (gaposis). I’ll use soft gathers next time.
- I used used the foot D on my Janome to roll hem for quite a few finishes.
I added the purple bias to bring out the purple colour as the fabric is a big grey with the silver. The fabric is more suitable for a western hoe down outfit but I thought this top would work with dark skinny jeans, and it does. Once I get the buttons done, I’ll post up a final pic.
Today is the first day of autumn and I can feel the need to add some colour to my sewing again. I also did a stock take of the common patterns that I make regularly and that’s about to change again – pattern boredom.
Butterick 5046 is my first planned change. I’ll still make this with a shiny purple cotton woven to check the fit. I bought this pattern sometime last year during an online so hopefully I’ll have this ready to show and tell next week.
I’m working on view A so the pieces now have FBA, hip adjustment, sway back adjustment, neckline gaposis – but I’m still using size 12. As the fabric has a silver thread in it, it’s definitely itchy, so it can’t become a sleepwear…
PS: Yesterday I finally did some cycle training before the humidity kicked in. 50km of hill training. Call me a mountain goat, but it felt good. DH slept in and had just finished breakie when I came home, so we both had a good morning.