On Saturday while my sewing buddies were over, I took out my swap pieces and asked for their opinion on how my SWAP plan was going. The main comment I got was the china print skirt only needed a black knit top.
At the January Pitt Trading sale, I bought this black poly knit as a ‘just in case’ piece.
Here’s how it worked out.
I made sure my face was taken out of this shot because I was really pooped last night when DH took this pic.
Tech note: Sway back, full bust adjustment, neckline gaposis, shortened shoulder length, shortened sleeve, FOE.
Swap tally – The next piece is a basic black skirt (fully lined, zipper, no waistband) that’s 1/3 of the way through. I just realised that this will be the final piece.
I’ll go back to the purple pieces once the skirt is done so I can but the black out of my sight, just for now.
Here’s my first attempt at recycling a RTW garment.
As you can see, I’m taking a colour break.
This was the first top I made today. There’s no science in the pattern placement and the neckling on the pattern was tight around my neck, so I’ve dropped it a bit.
When I sewed on the FOE on the neckline, that’s when I had used the one step process with a ‘few tears’ when I had to resew the FOE on the back neckline.
This pattern has my usual adjustments. I got this knit last month when Pitt Trading had their 50% off sale.
By the way, this is a really comfortable top to wear to work with my purple skirt. My work mates have been very supportive as they usually see me in greys and blacks around the office..
Yesterday I was trying to finish the black wrap blouse with border embroidery and the overlocker kept making uneven stitches. I rethreaded the little terror a few times with no luck. The thread was running out and broke while rethreading the new thread. I have a Janome mylock 534D.
My blouse fabric ripped at the sleeve edge on one of the front pieces while I was trying it on. Part of the challenge of the blouse is getting the gathers to sit on the bust. The rip made me a bit fearful that the fabric was weak, so I decided to overlock the seam edges.
In the end, I replaced the thread on the right lower looper and rethreaded it
Step 1. right lower looper,
Step 2. left lower looper,
Step 3. right upper thread
Step 4. left upper thread.
Now I’m putting the sleeves on. They have gathers at the sleeve head and I’ll make them a bit gathered at the sleeve hem too. I might raise the sleeve hem as well.
Ok, so we don’t look like twins. Maybe aunty twice removed and niece, and that’s where I’m leaving the comparison.
Here’s what the back fit looks like. I’ve done a sway back adjustment but I may need to add some butt room.